In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In some cases, such as when the swollen epiglottis blocks the windpipe, a tracheostomy may be performed.
- Longer-term help with breathing may require a tracheotomy.
- Seventeen of the patients had a tracheostomy for airway obstruction.
- In severe problem patients a tracheotomy or surgical opening (temporary or permanent) above the Adams apple is needed.
- All tracheotomies were operative tracheotomies, and no percutaneous dilatational tracheostomies were performed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.