In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1locomóvil femininemáquina de vapor locomóvil feminine
- At the front is a guide to the principle features of the traction engine, so you can become quite the expert at the next steam rally.
- It was cut into four, and shifted by a traction engine owned by a local sawmiller.
- A huge boiler drawn on a traction engine passed through Skipton on its way to Slingsby's Mill in Gargrave.
- Now the firm whose steamrollers, traction engines, steam trams, trains and grass cutting equipment contributed to the city's industrial heritage has been recognised.
- Interesting brasses from traction engine rallies adorn one wall.
- The current UK exams, for instance, include a so-called ‘simple mechanical’ invention, which can be anything from a potato peeler to a traction engine.
- Mr Coles said that winter was the perfect time for repairs to be carried out on a traction engine, because during the summer, they are busy attending fairs and rallies.
- Thirteen teams will be operating thirteen historic threshing mills and a historic steam traction engine will drive each mill.
- He had his own design for the bunkhouses which were towed to each job - the ‘stinkies’ as they are termed in the traction engine language.
- But local industries saw the benefit of using a steam wagon, which was smaller and lighter than a traction engine towing a trailer.
- Afterwards, though, what we needed was a traction engine to shunt us all out the door and take us home.
- It was a good day out with a variety of attractions (e.g. flower tent, steam traction engines, livestock) and displays (showjumping, motorcycle stunt display).
- It was jacked off its foundations, lifted on to a large transporter with six wheels and pulled by two traction engines.
- Everything from show engines to traction engines, steamrollers and steam tractors kept spectators intrigued.
- He bought an old traction engine, a Burrell, which was the beginning of a fleet of engines.
- The church was carried from Essex to Yorkshire on a traction engine in 1905.
- Using their mobile phones the drivers rang the fire service and told them of the devastation being wreaked as the traction engine chugged along.
- Visitors will be able to see and take part in many activities, including steam traction engine displays and horse and tractor demonstrations.
- A collection of steam and traction engines, antique class cars, fair-ground organ etc. will also be centred at Bolger's yard while a large marquee is also to be erected.
- In Pickering, a classic car show on June 10 is cancelled but a traction engine rally in early August is still on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.