In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Vision and hearing are the aesthetic senses proper, according to traditional theory.
- Will the campaign then seek to campaign on, say, abortion, divorce, capital punishment, and other traditional family values?
- There are also schools, a traditional market and a fish market nearby.
- Swinging on the cot the womenfolk and children used to sing traditional folk songs and enjoy the rides.
- They want to rediscover traditional pleasures such as fish and chips, Scrabble and bracing walks in the fresh - and chilly - air.
- As the other guys sat back with their beers whilst I had that traditional English drink.
- But that doesn't mean existing and traditional programming should be disregarded.
- The Gurkha emphasis on traditional British military values is legendary.
- Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, they discover that the existing, traditional way is the best.
- Some of these men are looking for wives with traditional values, and some of these women are looking for husbands with economic security.
- I'm beginning to feel sorry for the poor sincere red state schmucks who believe in all this traditional values stuff.
- Steeped in the traditional values and rural culture of the West of Ireland, they were happy and content away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- The Spanish Pyrenees with their imposing peaks and delightful valleys are rich in traditional values and folklore.
- One of the real ‘old stock’, she was devoted to her faith and traditional ways and values.
- The long-established, traditional view is that they are distinct.
- In the African traditional context, children belonged to the whole society.
- It is more contemporary now, but they began with their existing traditional service.
- His Welsh genes allow him to have a totally different view on life although he hasn't lost any of the traditional Welsh values, including a fondness for sheep.
- Always commanding only a tiny military force of Europeans, he depended on negotiations with and use of existing traditional power structures.
- The Easter Bunny was let out for a seasonal hop as traditional values continue to decline under this most materialistic of governments.
- In this context, religion belongs to traditional society, and so the term new religion can be perceived as a contradiction in terms.
- The new service would not replace the more traditional existing service which would continue to be held on Sundays, he stressed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.