In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Every traffic light, every gas stop turns into a short conversation.
- He stared futilely at her figure, unable to reach her as the traffic signal turned green.
- The last time I contacted him was to report the always-red traffic light near Nandan Road.
- The traffic light flicked green and the bus motored off round the corner leaving them to fight it out.
- One traffic signal jammed at the crossroads of Deansgate, Bridge Street and John Dalton Street.
- Getting stuck at the traffic signal at Silk Board Junction can lead one beyond road rage.
- As this study focuses on urban areas, a bunch could normally mean a cluster of vehicles released from an upstream traffic signal during the green time.
- People standing beside him on the sidewalk while they waited for the traffic light to turn green.
- We hit the trail at the north side of the traffic light at Main Street and Old Mammoth Road.
- Simulating the presence of a large motor vehicle in an inductive loop of a vehicular traffic signal light control system
- That access road gives him an unimpeded run up to a traffic light about a quarter of a mile away.
- Even the usual traffic signal at unmanned junctions gives the pedestrian very little time (in some junctions it is less than five seconds) to cross.
- Once I even caught myself patiently waiting for the green man at a traffic light before I crossed an empty street.
- She turned right at the junction even when the traffic light had turned red.
- For the third year running a mistle thrush has chosen an amber traffic light in Salford to rear her young.
- At that moment, the traffic light went green and the girls walked across the street.
- Adding that to our lists could cost us a green light at the first traffic signal.
- Had the traffic light been green instead of red, we could have been right in front of him.
- Well I've waited and waited right through the long hot Summer, waiting for the green to go red, like a traffic light in reverse.
- The scheme would incorporate a three-arm traffic signal with each arm operating on a shuttle system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.