In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Television Radiotransmisor masculine
- I told you those FM radio transmitters were illegal in the UK!
- Governments hoping to earn a fast buck by switching off analogue television transmitters and selling the frequencies to cellphone operators are in for a shock.
- Conversely, radio waves from a transmitter operating near the cable will enter the cable through these slots.
- These are transmitters that use radio waves to communicate with mobile phone handsets.
- A radio transmitter is activated alerting rescue teams to their whereabouts.
- Using a 10 watt transmitter, it can be heard by 2,847 families.
- On the other, we are anxious about the impact of a mobile phone transmitter mast in our neighbourhood.
- The battle was eventually won and the phone company agreed to erect a smaller transmitter in its place.
- A wireless receiver unit receives the output signal transmitted by the transmitter.
- Campaigners fear radiation from mobile phone transmitters can cause cancer or other health problems.
- The researchers used quartz crystals, like the wave transmitters in televisions and radios, which vibrate in an electrical field.
- The new solar powered FM transmitter will broadcast 24 hours a day with programmes predominantly in Pashto and Persian.
- We attached satellite transmitters to turtles that had just finished nesting.
- One of the patrolmen signaled frantically on a small portable transmitter for help.
- More than a dozen eavesdropping and jamming units, telephone exchanges, and radio and television transmitters were attacked.
- With just a couple of electronic components that cost at most a dollar or two, you can build simple radio transmitters and receivers.
- Other covert radio transmitters available from security equipment dealers have serious drawbacks.
- The march of phone transmitter masts is proving unstoppable.
- And devices using a car's power outlet and a cassette player or a small radio transmitter are available.
- All spacecraft carry a radio transmitter, used for transmitting both data about the spacecraft itself and about the scientific measurements.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.