In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The wares were characterized by a brilliant white body and thin transparent glazes.
- Specific wavelengths are absorbed as light passes through a transparent gem or is reflected from the surface of an opaque gem.
- Silicon is naturally transparent to infrared light waves, so photons passing through it usually have no effect.
- They were made of a transparent material that allowed the warriors to see inside.
- Glass is not the only transparent material, but it may have been the most important.
- A mixed media approach was adopted with transparent fabrics and various materials used along side hardware products.
- They're gloves made of a transparent material.
- The little shrunken body had become almost transparent.
- One advantage of PVC is that, unlike most transparent materials, it is soft.
- These fibrils are too small to scatter light, and so the material is virtually transparent.
- Then there are the transparent materials which show everything, and I do mean everything.
- The transparent glass railing allows guests to see the entire stage.
- That sort of element of surprise keeps me intrigued by transparent materials and trickery - how you can fool the eye with light and shadows cast.
- Painted in light, transparent oil paints, they appear to be isolated from their surrounding, often forming a direct relationship with the spectator.
- Glass is transparent, it refracts light, it may be coloured and it may be surface decorated by cutting, grinding, sand blasting and painting.
- But what makes it even more unique is its transparent fabric, which allows for amazing underwater viewing.
- The composition is effective through the use of converging diagonals and the play of light on the transparent materials.
- For the scientists too, the pyramid is a fascinating object of study, especially when made of glass or other transparent material.
- She whipped about, sending black curls dancing, and plastered her body to the thick layer of transparent material behind her.
- The projection screen is fabricated of a substantially transparent material, such as glass or plastic.
2(obvious)(meaning) claro(meaning) transparenteit was a transparent lie/excuse — era obvio / estaba claro que mentía/que se trataba de una excusa
- it was a transparent attempt to bribe her — fue un claro intento de soborno
- Looks like that last-ditch and blatantly transparent attempt at a smear campaign didn't work at all.
- His chances of career survival are made bleaker by his transparent and clumsy attempts to turn himself into the victim.
- They publish and broadcast fluffy, weak, and uncritical stories in a transparent attempt to ingratiate themselves to communities.
- This was a transparent attempt to prove his toughness on crime.
- Its elections a few months ago were a sham, a transparent attempt to provide a democratic cloak for a body which is anything but democratic.
- The Army's inspector general report is a transparent attempt at damage control.
- Again, no rational person could view such transparent nonsense as genuine apologies.
- The entire ad is built around an entirely intentional and fairly transparent attempt to deceive viewers.
- Despite his transparent attempt to slip this out unnoticed, he has to explain why he apparently broke the law.
- It's a fairly transparent attempt by the Prime Minister to avoid scrutiny and further revealing of the truth whilst trying to appear not to be doing so.
- We assumed that he could see right through the fairly transparent seduction attempts that people were laying in front of him practically every five minutes.
- The transparent attempts to come across as wise and selfless only increase my distaste for this woman.
- His frantic attempts, transparent and pathetic, to remould himself into something he is not compromised his dignity.
- He charged that the government had reversed itself in a transparent attempt to get rid of him.
- Too few examine the transparent social conditions that conspire to make them the easiest targets for murder.
- This is a pretty transparent attempt to parrot the administration line that this is nothing more than another beltway tempest in a teapot.
- The deal included modest increases in pension benefits, a transparent attempt to win support from older and higher-seniority longshoremen at the expense of the work force as a whole.
- This was a transparent attempt on her part to increase her equalization payment.
- In a transparent attempt to defuse the explosive anger that swept the Arab world, they promised to hold those responsible accountable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.