In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US(refuse)basura femininebefore noun trash bag — bolsa de la basura feminine
- trash compacter — triturador de basura
- trash heap — montón de basura
- Landowners, too, can be held responsible should someone decide to discard their trash on private property.
- Discarded trash and rusty machines lay dead within the yard.
- She sighed and tossed the bottle into the trash.
- Medical sharps, such as disposable hypodermic needles and scalpel blades should never be discarded loosely into the trash.
- Bacteria and fungi primarily break down the organic matter in the trash.
- If it's diseased or infested with insects, bag it and discard in the trash.
- Filled with trash and discarded items, it burned up in the Earth's atmosphere soon afterward.
- Snowdrifts of plastic shopping bags and discarded fast-food trash got you down?
- Rinse containers well before discarding in the trash.
- Magazines, plastic cups, and all sort of trash were discarded all across the floor.
- I know but he refuses to empty the trash himself.
- Daphne had work to do, collecting pillows and helping people discard trash.
- They are like waves pounding a shore, the wide, vast shore that is my mind - now beginning to fill with the litter and trash of a discarded relationship.
- Now, slam-dunk those soggy tissues into the trash… right along with that yearbook photo you ripped down from inside your locker.
- Drills, lathes, and milling machines produce metal trimmings that machine shops discard as trash or melt down for reuse.
- The older fisherman can recall former days when the waters were clear and the beaches were free of trash and discarded items.
- The sharp needle tips are collected inside the container and the remainder of the syringe barrel can be safely discarded in the trash.
- Someone could go through your trash to find discarded receipts or carbons and use them to learn your account numbers.
- The walls were torn and dirty, books were scattered everywhere; pages ripped out and discarded like trash.
- Do away with the trash; line your pockets with cash.
2(worthless stuff)basura femininestop talking trash! — ¡deja de decir estupideces!
- I am astonished that The Register continues to carry this trash (or, for that matter, its author).
- I was lying in my cell, reading some trash from the prison library, wondering who they were going to give me as a cellmate.
- In fact the idea of trash tabloids is just the opposite.
- Thinking that the books are frivolous trash of no value is apparently an out-of-date misconception common only to those who have never read them.
- A small warning though, I have been known to read complete trash from time to time.
- Nothing like an unbiased free press to stir up intelligent debate, although coming from the UK, with its tabloid trash, I'm hardly one to talk really.
- But I think a better activity for you would be learning to spell and read something except trash novels and books.
- I don't subscribe to the view that readers in this market equate broadsheet with quality and tabloid with trash.
- You catch up on movies, read trash and get tucked in by nice young men who offer you Vogue…
- There's the tabloid variety trash filled with the juicy details of the latest break-ups and make-ups.
- It is tabloid trash no matter how you dress it up or justify it to yourselves.
- As far as throwaway movies go, it is top quality trash.
- I'm also talking rip-offs, exploitation movies, mindless sequels, trash masquerading as quality.
- It'll probably make good trash midweek viewing once the characters have established and the inevitable ‘het girl gets drunk and sleeps with a woman’ happens.
- Compare the trash of the entirety of this year's SuperBowl halftime compared with the classic halftime performance of U2 two years ago.
- This concept was rejected as trash and thrown into dust in 1990 as a result of anti - India insurgency.
- While I agree with Flux that this movie will probably be trash, I have to disagree about the vehicle shifting properties of the robots.
- But after reading this article from this damn tabloid trash, I am being won over.
- Their hands, mostly left clasping right, or right clasping left, holding the odd newspaper or the odd trash tabloid, grasping the odd book like a lifeline.
3USinformal(people)escoria femininewhite trash — blancos pobres del sur de los EEUU
- Though her father repeatedly refers to poor whites as trash, her mother insists that they be referred to as people.
- This idiot is the worst kind of trash imaginable.
- Otherwise, I'm afraid, it's you who ends up looking like bottom-feeding trash - no matter how you speak or where you went to school.
- I don't care how rich or accomplished a person is, if they cannot show basic manners in public then they're trash.
- Hopefully, this action will aid me in getting rid of the unwanted trash reading my blog.
- When Eddy showed up at Sir Christopher's Cassandra had immediately sized her up as no good foreign trash and taken to making her education the worst possible.
- If she lived in a small American town, we'd consider her trash.
- Yet Shaft keeps on operating, pulling questionable legal tricks and using deceit and deception to fool the gangland trash of the streets.
- It was the perfect cliché of poor white redneck trash.
1(dispose of)botar (a la basura) Latin America River Platetirar (a la basura) Spain River Plate
2informal(criticize)(movie/book) poner por los suelos(movie/book) poner por el suelo(person) despellejar informal(person) poner verde Spain informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.