In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(souvenir) barato(souvenir) de porquería informal(souvenir) rasca Southern Cone informal(magazine/movie) maloa trashy novel — una novelucha
- This is her way of countering criticism of her books as gossipy, trashy hack-work with poor sourcing.
- They want to stress that it looks trashy if you wear the shortest skirts and look tacky.
- Although the plot is trashy and derivative, this film has some merit as a brutally effective series of gore and shocks.
- He had read enough trashy fantasy novels to know that castles didn't have electricity.
- Where footnotes are concerned, it's a bit like trashy novels or violent films.
- Propped up on the orange juice jug in front of her was a thin, trashy romance novel.
- It was a pity that such wretched, trashy, horrible publications could not be stopped.
- Will it be out with trashy makeover and reality shows and in with quality programming?
- The frame is eye-blindingly bright in trashy neon yellow and the soft thermal lens is tinted orange for your viewing pleasure.
- It was the sort of old fashioned love that silly girls read about in those trashy novels.
- Old soldiers never die, they live on to settle outstanding scores in their trashy memoirs.
- Hollywood idols are the gods of today, trashy tabloids and offensive pictorial covers can attest to that.
- And the Thriller-like corpse of my trashy, teenage self has risen from the dead and is doing a little dance inside me.
- This is no longer only the obsession of trashy magazines and tabloids.
- It's very entertaining to watch and read, and cheaper even than a trashy romance novel.
- Damn our trashy, hypocritical, out-of-date British newspapers, and the foolish people who buy them!
- For others it's a certain type of bubble bath, a much-watched DVD or a collection of trashy novels.
- Exploitation movies are often criticized as trashy, but poor taste is an elitist concept.
- And I do like watching trashy movies, things you wouldn't normally admit to.
- It's all very trashy and pathetic with court rooms and smashed chairs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.