In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politicstratado masculinetrade/peace treaty — tratado comercial/de paz
- to enter into a treaty — suscribir un tratado
- the Treaty of Rome — el Tratado de Roma
- Doing so would smash parliament's claim to ratify or reject treaties.
- The prince represents Monaco in its foreign relations and signs and ratifies treaties.
- Germany, which has ratified the treaty in parliament, also wants to see it survive.
- Now, the Convention on the Rights of the Child is a treaty that Australia is a party to.
- We have also mentioned a number of treaties providing for grounds of jurisdiction over international crimes.
- On this basis, therefore, I propose that you should agree to give treaties precedence over later statutes.
- There religious rights continued to be governed by international law, the treaty of Westphalia.
- This is an International treaty ratified by all the people on this island and there is no other show in town.
- The same is true of treaties and other international agreements, and it is only fair.
- The treaty is very clear; the treaty must be ratified by the last day of December next year.
- The biggest nightmare of parties to these treaties is that a treaty partner will sign up but cheat.
- At that time there was no extradition treaty between this country and Bulgaria.
- Technically, as all 25 member states must ratify the treaty for it to take effect, it is dead.
- Would we not have to look to the treaty or convention upon which the legislation is based?
- It is not the treaty but the statute which forms part of English law.
- He's already promised to hold a referendum on the treaty if his party is elected.
- He left the rich countries free to strike individual treaties with their weaker trading partners.
- The two leaders agreed in September to continue efforts to conclude the treaty by the end of the year.
- The terms of the treaty are presumed to have the same meaning in each authentic text.
- So I asked Justice Kirby his view about international human rights covenants and treaties.
2British(agreement)to sell sth by private treaty — vender algo mediante acuerdo privado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.