In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(great, huge)(disappointment/difference) tremendo(difference/disappointment) enorme(success/speed) tremendo(explosion/blow) terrible(blow/explosion) tremendoshe has tremendous charisma — tiene muchísimo carisma
- she was a tremendous help — me (/ nos etc. ) ayudó muchísimo
- I've met a lot of other people who like it, but I've also heard a tremendous amount of banter about people who don't.
- The staff, many of whom know them well, make a tremendous fuss which is lovely to see.
- Personally Mike combined intellectual brilliance with tremendous charm and wit.
- The helicopter would display their logo providing a tremendous amount of publicity across a vast area.
- They achieved a tremendous amount in the run-up to devolution and since 1999.
- This in itself inspired a tremendous growth in investigative journalism.
- It's a tremendous inspiration when you see these guys every morning.
- The cat can, as you've been experiencing in your country, cause a tremendous amount of damage.
- We have tremendous respect for their work and they would be excellent allies and strong performers on the Cabinet.
- Dominating the local coastline, no one could fail to be impressed by this tremendous Norman fortress.
- Among his many talents were a tremendous creative range, gifted musicianship and a savage wit.
- The pair were inside the bungalow in Sladbury's Lane, Clacton, when there was a tremendous crack and the sky lit up.
- There has been tremendous concern about consumer interests and how they are affected by the genetics revolution.
- I am suffering from major overload of a tremendous amount of food right now.
- There was tremendous enthusiasm among radicals everywhere for the new Paris Commune form of government.
- This fella is a fantastic athlete who has tremendous power and exceptional skills and movement.
- Also, being thanked for doing a good job brings tremendous satisfaction.
- It can make us rude, abrupt and impatient, but it can also inspire us to tremendous courage, bravery and leadership.
- Not once did she make a sound indicating tremendous physical exertion.
- That was pleasing, but just being part of a magnificent day brought a tremendous sense of pride and good feeling.
2(very good)formidableher performance is tremendous — su actuación es formidable / fantástica
- he's a tremendous athlete — es un atleta formidable
- we had a tremendous time — lo pasamos estupendo / fantástico
- the landscape is tremendous — el paisaje es increíble / hermosísimo
- To be fair to the players, they have done a tremendous job, but the job isn't complete and I get the feeling that one or two of them think it is.
- I've had a tremendous time there and made some terrific friends on and off the pitch and it's sad to be leaving them behind.
- We are trying to support the tremendous quality job that they are doing.
- Seeing so many York fans at London was absolutely fantastic and underlines how tremendous they have been all season.
- We went up in one of those and it was tremendous, a marvellous little airship.
- Just to play in the Open would have been amazing, but to play in front of such a phenomenal crowd was tremendous.
- Saturday's Super League Grand Final against Bradford will be a tremendous occasion.
- The response to our redesign and relaunch has been tremendous, and is inspiring us to keep improving the paper.
- Her prognosis was originally extremely poor, but fortunately she has made tremendous progress over the years.
- Any turmoil in my life has served as nothing but tremendous inspiration for my music.
- The champion put on a tremendous display but could not floor the American, who previously held the IBF title.
- The weather was fantastic and full use was made of the tremendous facilities at the popular holiday venue.
- The National Health Service in York does a tremendous job for many people.
- I can imagine she is doing a tremendous job in what must be indescribable circumstances.
- The teachers did a tremendous job, many of them going above and beyond the call of duty.
- It was a tremendous turn-out and a lovely community atmosphere, with everybody joining in.
- He passed the ball accurately and made some tremendous inspirational runs down the left.
- But it is wonderful to recognise the tremendous spirit of others in helping the family through their grief.
- To finish third and qualify for the Champions League was tremendous.
- Not only is road grip tremendous and cornering balance superb, but the steering is precision at its best.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.