In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1trinchera femininegabardina feminineimpermeable masculine
- She reached inside and pulled out a black trench coat lined with faux fur at the neck, the sleeves, and the hem.
- He was surprised, however, when he stepped right into the path of a smaller man in a trench coat and fedora.
- He stood in front of her in a black trench coat and a matching turtleneck.
- They have a patent leather version of a fifties style trench coat and their own interpretation of the current high school craze.
- I wrestled off my trench coat and hat, throwing them on to the coat hanger.
- On the crumple sheeted bed is a dirty trench coat and on the trench coat is a carefully placed bible.
- There was a man in a trench coat, pants, shirt, shoes and sunglasses, all black.
- I placed my bowler hat on my coat rack, and my black trench coat on the hook.
- He rushed toward the coat rack, grabbing his trench coat and slipping it on.
- Standing on the balcony edge, he was dressed in his trench coat, lined with moonlight around the edges.
- We entered as another servant took my soft tan fur coat; Jarred handed them his black trench coat.
- There are also sweater coats, coatdresses, trench coats, balmacaans, reefers, princess cuts, and oodles of other descriptive style terms to spin you into a fashionable furious straight jacket, if you should so desire.
- He was wearing a long trench coat and an old style hat that had stopped Scott from identifying him.
- Wear it with a trendy leather jacket and jeans for everyday occasions, or with a dressier trench coat for work.
- For the evening, Bailey offers these shiny variations of the trench coat.
- Thus the campy prose style and the author photo in trench coat and fedora.
- Love all the trench coats, especially the white trench coat with the subtle Burberry print on it.
- She dresses smart-black pin-stripe trousers, black polo neck with a trench coat.
- Standing, the man in the black trench coat adjusted the sunglasses that obscured his eyes.
- The boy on the other hand wore an ankle length black trench coat, with a green ponytail flipped over the coat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.