In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(pattern, tendency)tendencia femininethere is a trend toward centralization — existe una tendencia a / hacia la centralización
- that's the general trend among young people — esa es la tónica general entre los jóvenes
- upward/downward trend — tendencia alcista / al alza/bajista / a la baja
- this will set the trend in personal computers — esto marcará la pauta / la tónica en lo que respecta a computadoras personales
- The point is that the general trend is moving in the positive direction.
- The editors followed the general trends within economic history, whose foundations were developed elsewhere.
- As a general trend, sales of Irish newspapers have declined during the past quarter.
- Any measure of geographical variation or time trends needs to ensure comparability of numerator and denominator data.
- At any rate, there is a worrying trend developing along the North Mayo coast.
- They also reportedly stressed the importance of such positive trends to be sustained in the weeks ahead.
- The trend indicates the general tendency or direction over the long-term.
- However, there are some general trends that depend more on the species than on the gene.
- Only a few years ago, in 1999 to be precise, Al used to call upward price trends a threat.
- Certainly in New South Wales, new trends are developing in terms of where foster families are in 2003.
- The most recent batch reverse that trend, generally showing the parties to be even.
- The revolution in English football has led to the development of some disturbing trends, however.
- Returning to the pectoral limb, we can easily make out two general trends.
- As is apparent in the current analysis, the trends were general, and not discrete.
- The exercise has also come about because of housing developments in the area which could affect population trends.
- Some trends may be apparent but other changes may occur which may contradict the general direction of the trend.
- The general trend is towards currency management against a basket which reflects the trading mix of imports and exports.
- They observed differences between the samples and made note of some general trends.
- But we expect the general trend in 2000 will be in the opposite direction to last year.
- We know of no previous reports of angina incidence trends in Britain based on reviews of medical records from general practices.
- And the channel that plays the hit music is now setting trends in fashion.
- These days, in contrast, fashion trends emanate from a diverse range of sources.
- This technique serves to identify drug use trends at an early stage in their development.
- But what is the real impact on the home front of our obsession with fashionable and vogue trends?
- For office supply stores, color and fashion trends spell opportunity and risk.
- In the future, demographics may alter food trends in yet different directions.
- Politicians now think that a few glib punchlines and a couple of fashionable trends will pull them closer to young people.
- The gardens of the time were eclectic and people wanted the latest trends from home and abroad - leading to some extravagant features.
- The mall promoted trends and high fashion, which were two things Rebecca didn't follow.
- It's all about style and cars and fashion and trends and shape and form, so it's a great marriage.
- Someone had better spare me from their ramblings of fashion trends and marriage.
- However, new electronics features as usual will ameliorate such negative trends.
- His studies have shown that fashion and social trends and even consumer buying habits often reflect humanity's search for a deeper meaning.
- I confess it is a fashionable trend, but in summer, I think most people choose cotton or silk.
- As far as retro fashion trends go, the fifties may be here to stay awhile.
- Tiny bikini underwear is gaining in prevalence simply because of today's fashion trends.
- Even without a single currency, that is where we are sharing cultures, fashion and lifestyle trends.
- Fashion trends in general are strongly influenced by music, TV and film celebrities.
- Prices in the art market are to a high degree influenced by fashionable trends.
- As a matter of fact, I don't like anything to do with fashions or trends.
1tenderunemployment is trending upward/downward — el desempleo tiende al alza/a la baja
- public opinion trends toward/away from capital punishment — la opinión pública se inclina hacia/en contra de la pena capital
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.