In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1modernomodernoso informalhis ideas are very trendy at the moment — sus ideas están muy de moda actualmente
- a bunch of trendy lefties — un montón de izquierdistas progres
- she was wearing a very trendy outfit — iba vestida muy moderna / a la última moda
- this part of town is getting very trendy — este barrio se está poniendo de moda
- The clothes are vibrant, trendy and snazzy, just the right type for your child.
- And a host of trendy fashion houses are clamouring to be the first to get the designs on their shelves.
- Police have warned trendy youngsters to take care with their designer baseball caps in a bid to halt a spate of thefts.
- In fact, I have a feeling that what endears the place to me is its almost meticulous lack of trendy design.
- But the road is a different cup of tea for the more affluent and trendy Jakartans.
- Little wonder consumers care a great deal for this trendy fashion accessory.
- Hip young Indians sipping tequilas and strutting their designer gear in trendy bars and discos are now commonplace.
- If you think their wish list is headed by the latest toys or trendy clothes, guess again.
- There are trendy surf-style shops and local designers doing their thing.
- She tries to make it four times a week and rewards her dedication with trendy clothes.
- Some awful trendy logo which would go out of fashion in a few months?
- The classy curls, gels, trendy perms, and chic colours have not seemed to inspire us!
- One can be trendy and fashionable and still keep in touch with one's cultural roots.
- Well it's their level: a funky, trendy marketing fad, that is quite probably pointless.
- And so it becomes more and more chic in trendy places to drink wine from foreign countries.
- He said he offered a range of services, including trendy cuts, highlighting and other general men's cuts.
- You are only slowing down your own growth rate through symbolic, righteous and trendy protest.
- He's a busy man but takes time out to play golf and put together a chic and trendy photo book every year.
- It is tempting for trendy writers to portray him as a tool of rich imperialists oppressing the poor convicts.
- Each doll also comes with an extra face plate, trendy fashions and a cool messenger bag.
1persona a la moda feminine British derogatory informalPolitics progre informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.