In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(acknowledgment)homenaje masculinetributo masculine Latin Americatributo a algn/algo masculine Latin Americaas a tribute to … — como tributo a … Latin America
- a moving tribute — un emotivo homenaje
- tribute to sb/sth — homenaje a algn/algo
- the movie is a tribute to the courage of these men — la película rinde homenaje a la valentía de estos hombres
- to pay tribute to sb/sth — rendir tributo a algn/algo
- Chicago's most important people were present to pay tribute to Maureen and wish her well on her birthday.
- He invited those present to examine themselves as the best way to pay tribute to McBurnie.
- A guard of honour was formed by friends and neighbours as a special tribute and mark of respect.
- Replying, John thanked all for the good wishes, the tributes and the gifts.
- It also helps them pay tribute to the deceased with musical, video, and multimedia presentations.
- Many travelled long distances to join in the tributes and pay their respects.
- She said she was genuinely surprised by the size of the turnout, the presentation and the tributes to her.
- The celebration concluded with musical tributes by Frances McAndrew and Frank Doyle.
- Mr Noone said he was delighted to be present to pay tribute to an outstanding teacher and principal.
- The visits are not intended to pay tribute to the war criminals, he said.
- The conference will pay tribute to Wallenberg and present the latest findings in the ongoing search for the truth.
- The death of Robin Cook occurred too late last Saturday for me to pay tribute to him, a situation I intend to rectify just now.
- All the plaudits, all the tributes, will be thoroughly deserved and she will be an extremely hard act to follow.
- He went on to pay tribute to his uncle, Joe Dunne, who was present at the gathering.
- Manager Eddie Gray will pay tribute to Charles while a video screen will show footage of the man in action.
- Outside on the verge bordering The Mall bouquets and tributes from the public were laid out - many from children.
- Many people made the long journey from Donegal to pay their respects and tributes.
- Large crowds were present both days to pay their final tributes and respects to Mick O'Brien.
- Senator Lott's remarks were intended to pay tribute to a remarkable man who led a remarkable life.
- United fans have paid their respects to Davis with tributes outside the ground.
- Aztec musicians enjoyed high social prestige and exemption from tribute payments.
- The rulers of Champassak and Luang Prabang remained in control but had to pay periodical tribute to Bangkok.
- It was a hallmark of free populations not to pay tribute, fees or taxes of this sort.
- In the north and west where towns and markets were few, plunder and tribute remained central to the circulation of wealth.
- Provinces won in war could later be milked of tribute to enrich the Roman state and its rulers and to buy off any risk of discontent at home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.