In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Extra police will patrol Stockport at Halloween after complaints about trick or treat kids.
- I've figured out how to put the trick in trick or treat.
- When they play trick or treat, they throw broken eggs all over your doorstep if you don't give them something.
- In response to Mrs Speedie's letter regarding trick or treat, all I can say is "Bah Humbug!"
- Staffordshire Police is urging parents to dissuade their children from taking part in the Halloween activity known as trick or treat.
- The police chief superintendent has warned that trick or treat could be considered a serious criminal offence.
- Extra police patrols will also be brought in to crack down on anyone who goes over the top while playing trick or treat.
- Today is the day for trick or treat.
- It's trick or treat time all this month in Salem, Massachusetts, the seaport north of Boston.
- Police spokeswoman Alvina Kumar said: "Each year we receive complaints, particularly from elderly people who find trick or treat upsetting".
- As an elderly person who does not want to open the door at night to strangers, trick or treat can be a nightmare.
- Invite all your friends and ask them to bring a carved pumpkin and plenty of trick or treat goodies.
- The centre is holding a week of scary celebrations ending with a trick or treat day on Friday.
- Unlike trick or treat, Mischief Night is a long-standing British tradition.
- A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said unaccompanied children out after dark could be vulnerable any night of the year and that trick or treat night made them no safer.
- There was a great display of spooky costumes in Clonaslee on Sunday, October 31 as local children went on their trick or treat rounds.
- At 7.30 pm recently we had an insistent ringing on the door by children dressed for trick or treat.
- It's definitely a case of trick or treat this weekend depending on where you're going in Wales.
- This Halloween have all that candy ready for trick or treat and a scary movie already in the DVD player.
frase con la cual en la noche de Halloween los niños amenazan con una jugarreta si no reciben un regalo
1to go trick or treating — salir a recorrer casas amenazando con una jugarreta si no se recibe un regalo
- Parents are also being reminded to take extra precautions if their children were planning to go trick-or-treating.
- Sadly, the days of trick or treating are over.
- Rebekka wasn't in the mood to go trick or treating that year.
- Kids are going to go trick-or-treating tomorrow night all over America.
- Children who go trick or treating on Halloween are " siding with the devil ", a church group has claimed.
- Children should not be allowed out trick or treating on their own.
- For safety reasons children should never trick or treat alone or go into strangers ' homes.
- My little boy wanted to go begging - sorry, trick or treating.
- Trick or treating was a neighborhood thing, not a shopping mall thing.
- My friends make fun of me because I still want to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.
- The fact that kids had lost the freedom to enjoy trick or treating saddened Michael.
- I imagine he'd be a fun person to go trick or treating with come Halloween.
- Parents were warned not to let their children go out trick or treating alone.
- Body lights are wonderful for making trick-or-treating a safer experience.
- We went to a Pumpkin Farm and the kids went real trick or treating.
- Our community is the sort where children go trick or treating on Hallowe'en.
- Mr Tout accuses me of blaming children from Westbury Junior School for all misbehaviour during ' trick or treating ' at Halloween.
- Goodies for trick-or-treating, hay rides, movie, haunted bus ride.
- You see, we don't have any tradition of "trick or treating" here in the UK.
- The party started alright, and then about 15 of us decided to go trick or treating.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.