In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(thickness/dose) triplea triple string of pearls — un collar de perlas de tres vueltas
- I just had a client stop by my office to drop off 2 bottles of wine from Sterling Winery along with a box of the most decadent triple dark chocolate truffles from a specialty chocolatier.
- With this state of mind come all the positive emotions with double and sometimes triple strength.
- Avril went from high school to signing with a major label to a successful triple platinum debut album, all in 2 years.
- And speaking of the bathroom, I buy the econo-pak of triple size toilet paper rolls and they're gone in two weeks.
- As soon as she was in the cafeteria, she bought a triple sized hamburger and a cup of coffee.
- Plans call for a space nearly triple that of the current 31,000-square-foot building.
- The proposed two-storey property would be substantial in size and would include a triple garage and a self-contained two-bedroom lodge at the front.
- They now were triple in size since Grace moved away.
1triple the amount — el triple
- prices are triple what they were last year — los precios se han triplicado desde el año pasado
2US(in baseball)hacer un triplehacer un triplete
1US(in baseball)triple masculinetriplete masculine
- He had 22 home runs, seven triples, 27 doubles and 27 stolen bases.
- He hit only 240 with 17 home runs, but he did record nine triples and 26 stolen bases.
- He got back and started pounding doubles and triples down the third base line.
- A triple in Japanese baseball is a fairly rare play.
- For example, if there's a man on first, a single moves him to 2nd base, a double moves him to 3rd base, a triple takes him home, etc.
2(jump, turn)triple masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.