In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Geography(country/climate/fish) tropicaltropical aquarium — acuario tropical masculine
- tropical cyclone — ciclón tropical
- the tropical rain forest — la selva tropical
- These birds belong in the tropical rain forests and are spectacular in the wild.
- Snakes are found in a variety of habitats ranging from tropical rainforests to hot deserts.
- Recent studies in temperate and tropical forests already report increases in these plants.
- The tropical regions are also home to the rain forests where despite the extraordinary conditions, life is abundant.
- Jaguars occupy a diverse habitat ranging from tropical rain forests to arid deserts.
- The African rain forest is the second largest contiguous tropical forest in the world after the Amazon.
- The climate and soil in the region are characteristic of a tropical rainforest.
- Cola trees are large and grow best in tropical rain forests.
- The highest diversity of pigeons and doves occurs in tropical rainforests.
- They occupy a wide diversity of habitats, ranging from tropical forest to arctic tundra.
- The remaining Indonesian tropical rain forests are largely in Sumatra, Kalimantan and Irian Jaya.
- He actually adopted a tree in the tropical rainforest and a manatee down in Florida.
- Cichlids are mainly found in the lowland, freshwater areas of tropical and subtropical regions.
- They are primarily forest birds and live in rainforests of tropical Asia and Africa.
- The swamps include sago palms, mangroves, and patches of tropical rain forest.
- And if no trees are left on the valley slopes to sop up runoff from the rains and slow its flow, a tropical river will wither and die.
- Woodcreepers live primarily in lowland tropical forests and are mainly insectivores.
- In uneven-aged tropical rain forest ecosystems, the same principle seems to apply.
- The forest cobra is a large, thick-bodied, black snake from the tropical and subtropical rain forests of Africa.
- Gibbons are arboreal apes who live in the tropical rain forests of southeast Asia.
- One of my earliest memories is of my mother fanning herself in the tropical heat with a sandalwood fan.
- There's a summery good time tropical feel to reggae in the Pacific.
- It is a fruit of temperate but warm climates, which will not endure either tropical heat or severe cold.
- The climate is tropical: hot and humid, but moderated by northeast tradewinds.
- And he was soon out in the tropical heat helping to arrange the delivery of tons of satellite equipment.
- My head rises from the shelter of my arms that has been transformed to tropical temperatures from the heat of my tears.
- Forecasters said the UK would take on a tropical feel, with sticky and muggy weather making conditions unpleasant.
- Do I need to tell you that the last thing you want as a starter to your evening meal after a day of tropical heat is eggs Benedict?
- I've clambered up rocks in the tropical heat in the vain hope that there might be grasswren on top of the escarpment.
- The tropical heat hits you first thing in the morning, pasting your clothes to your body by noon.
- The slow ceiling fans made little impact against the tropical heat.
- Even at that time my brow felt moist with the tropical heat.
- The dramatic reconstruction sees Cornwall's tropical gardens impersonating the sweltering heat of Darien.
- Blame for the crash has been placed on hot summer weather followed by tropical downpours that left the road too slippery.
- A once popular seafront fantasy park is to reopen to the public this summer - as tropical gardens.
- Climatic variations range from humid to dry tropical to Mediterranean.
- Such images, humid with tropical nostalgia, have come to represent Cuba to the world today.
- The climate is humid and tropical with a dry season from January to May and a wet season from June to December.
- It has warm tropical winds in the summer and cold polar winds in the winter.
- My mind was empty and was cooling off as the tropical summer heat was subsiding in the shower of the moonlight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.