In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plural trout"or Zoology"trouts(fish)trucha feminine
- The rods you should take are a five weight for the trout fishing, a six or seven weight rod is ideal for bass.
- Lots of fish are suitable, including salmon and trout, but my favourite is sea bass.
- Leaders are extremely important in pike fishing just as they are in trout and salmon fishing.
- The lock is a popular angling pitch, as it provides a natural basin and is usually rich in salmon and trout.
- With the end of the trout and salmon season in sight, its time to get going on the pike.
- The white trout was immediately recognised by the furious fight it put up when it was hooked.
- My favourites are black lumpfish eggs, but red trout and salmon eggs will do just as well.
- In civil law no one has the right to fish for trout other than the riparian owner
- The browns and the tiger trout were magnificently marked and all fish were fin perfect.
- Oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel and sardine would be a better catch for Chris.
- My father used to go shooting and fishing and we had lots of rabbit, salmon and trout to eat.
- We were very aware on holiday of the proliferation of salmon, trout, halibut and mussel farms.
- The species can live in a higher temperature than most other trouts, and this is probably why they were introduced to America.
- Most anglers are having lots of sport with the smaller trout as well as with the stocked fish.
- Only a few trout were recorded for the seven anglers who fished for a short period.
- Pike tend to live on a diet of whatever fish is available in their waters, such as perch, salmon and trout.
- Fish is not in such great supply, though you can get salmon and trout at realistic prices.
- In the absence of brook trout, up to one of two nonnative trouts (wild brown or rainbow) would be substituted as an intolerant species.
- Fish is most beneficial for the body when it comes in an oily form such as mackerel, trout or salmon.
- The lines you used for trout and salmon fishing are useless in the warmer climates.
2British informal(woman)bruja feminine informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.