In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ausentismo escolar masculine
- Going on holiday without a school's permission is tantamount to truancy, said the junior education minister.
- A national crackdown on truancy has seen fast-track court action against parents of hardcore truants.
- Officials suggested some of the rise in truancy was due to headteachers getting tough, leading to more recorded cases.
- Other funds are aimed at developing alternatives to exclusion from schools if pupils are involved in bullying or truancy.
- Last year's figures were better, with one of the lowest growths in truancy for a long time, but still showed a slight increase.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.