In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One bomb destroyed a truck carrying troops, and the other went off in a ruined church where the survivors took cover.
- A waste disposal lorry and a pick-up truck crashed on a narrow bridge, blocking a main road.
- The community will simply not accept twice the number of trucks on the roads so we need a strategy to deal with the problem.
- Wide-bodied vehicles such as trucks, occupy the full lane while moving, whereas smaller, two- or three-wheel vehicles can travel side by side in one lane.
- The ban aims to regulate the movements of trucks and vans on major roads, while designating alternative truck routes.
- Travelling by a separate route, a customised lorry, truck and trailer carry all our supplies, including 3,000 litres of water and a ton each of horse feed and firewood.
- The absence of the late night trucks and lorries will be a blessing for many.
- The highway roads carry cars and trucks from the suburbs into the city.
- Because this road is used by so many commercial vehicles, many trucks pass along the road each day.
- We expected to see great convoys of lorries and trucks emblazoned with UN initials juddering down the coastal road bearing relief and building materials.
- The MoD has ordered 348 tanker trucks to carry fuel and water along roads to frontline troops.
- Beyond the slip road was a vast junction of roads where cars and trucks hurtled along totally oblivious to our presence.
- Since yesterday, we have seen a fair bit of traffic on the roads here and lorries and trucks carrying food, water, medicines.
- Thousands of lorries and trucks are being forced into provincial towns for rest stops and catering services, defeating the purpose of bypassing towns in the first place.
- Along the road was a steady stream of trucks and lorries, piled high with belongings, from bedding and clothing to cement mixers and furniture.
- This capability would reduce the number of trucks and troops traveling on the roads in all theaters of operations.
- On the right side of the road was a truck tipped over that was carrying soda.
- Share the road safely with large trucks and commercial vehicles.
- On Sunday the pallets were loaded on to a convoy of lorries, trucks and vans and taken to Stansted Airport near London where they were transferred to a plane bound for Sri Lanka.
- You may even see your property taxes increase as towns have to pay more to keep their police cars, fire engines, and garbage trucks on the road.
2BritishRailwaysfurgón masculinevagón masculine
- In some European countries, if coal is transported in open railway trucks the top is sprayed with a solution of lime.
- Roller bearings were specified for the engine truck for reliability and ease of maintenance, and likewise a mechanical lubricator.
- Graduating from high school in 1956, I went to work unloading freight from trucks and boxcars for $40 a week.
- The four trucks derailed at 11.15 am when a locomotive was shunting 29 trucks backwards in preparation to leave for Johannesburg later.
- The bags were later loaded onto railway trucks and pulled by two teams of Clydesdale horses nearly six kilometres to the Stenhouse Bay jetty for loading into the waiting ships.
- When I was a kid straight out of high school, I went to work for a large supply house unloading trucks and boxcars.
- Later versions used ‘bogies’ or special trucks in place of tires.
- The locomotive and six trucks are lying alongside the tracks after crashing into boulders on the line.
- The boxes are given to families many of whom are living in appalling conditions such as old railway trucks, buildings partly destroyed by shellfire and in extreme cases, sewers.
- From here the visitors were taken outside to the railway siding where railway trucks would deliver the raw materials and despatch the completed wireless telegraphy equipment.
- They are 132 feet long and ride on three, four-wheel trucks.
- This system uses specially reinforced and equipped highway trailers and ‘bogies’, or special trucks.
- A bogie is a British railway term for a wheeled truck or frame under a long carriage or engine that can swivel to help the vehicle around curves.
- The plaintiff, who was on the defendants land as a licensee, was injured by the negligent shunting of railway trucks.
- The second piece was considerably smaller, an L-shaped piece of steel which wooden boards would have slotted into to make the bottom and side of a railway truck.
3(in factory)carro masculine
- Here we discuss an accident that occurred in a warehouse due to the negligence of a forklift truck driver.
- We offer a range of warehouse equipment, including reach trucks, stackers, powered pallet trucks, order pickers and turret trucks.
- Your job as a forklift truck operator would be to load and unload goods deliveries, and move them to and from storage areas in a warehouse or depot.
1(goods) transportar en camión
- The first independent initiative required is an immediate bombing pause so food can be trucked in and delivered to the people.
- In keeping with his relatively conservative economic philosophy, he deregulated the airline and trucking industries and took steps to decontrol the prices of natural gas and oil.
- Areas where psychologists can aid government include better trucking security and X-ray inspection of luggage and improved communication among agencies in emergencies.
- Instead of making the ales at its own brewery in California and then impacting the environment by trucking them across the country, he says the company taps into unused capacity at three existing facilities.
- A spokesperson from the Tasmanian trucking industry said members could not cope with the increased demand, while a federal study showed transport costs would jump 17%.
- Prior to deregulation, trucking companies relied in large part on the owner-operators' ability to locate customers.
- If he/she now has to expend the cost of trucking the merchandise to an auction hall and preparing it for auction, that means added costs for labor, and a delay on the return on the initial investment.
- Things have to be trucked around; services don't to nearly the same extent.
- The heavy trucking industry has shown a lot of interest in the process.
- Wireless usage is highest among trucking companies.
- That means digging through the donated bins of marginal fruit to salvage plums or kiwis or oranges or broccoli, packing them in little bags, trucking them back for the people who can't afford fresh produce.
- So why can't trucking companies find enough truckers?
- That is taking a heavy toll on truckers and trucking companies.
- Employment in transportation, particularly the hard-hit airline and trucking industries, fell by 32,000 jobs.
- Traditionally this product is trucked to landfills or incinerated.
- Expect to see higher prices on everything from food to clothing as trucking companies, railroads, and air transport companies pass on their increased cost of doing business.
- At the same time, port officials say they are short-handed when it comes to unloading containers, and others involved in shipping say rail lines and trucking companies are also overextended.
- The sub-assemblies are done by suppliers in the logistics pre-assembly plant and the finished modules are trucked to the assembly facility.
- Many refugees have become economically successful - they dominate Pakistan's trucking industry and have become prominent money-changers in the region.
- The 1,000 Truck Campaign has enlisted the support of the commercial trucking industry to transform big rigs into rolling billboards for the Corps.
1trabajar de camionerokeep on trucking — sigue dándole informal
1US(vegetables, fruit)productos de la huerta masculinebefore noun truck farmer — horticultora feminine
- truck farming — horticultura
- truck garden — huerta
- There are fruit trees and a little truck garden.
- Farmers sold vegetables from their truck gardens at harvest time.
- Later they tried organic truck crop production on the Frey farm, but this was difficult, being so far from urban areas.
- Though he lives within the city limits of Longview, he has seven or eight acres of land on which he grows truck garden crops.
2(dealings)to have no truck with sb — no tener trato con algn
- he'll have no truck with it/them — no quiere saber nada del asunto/de ellos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.