In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Then trumpeters played a fanfare, fireworks boomed and crackled across the sky and children from schools on either side of the river waved flags and exchanged huge greetings cards to commemorate new links between their communities.
- The ladies rode on palfreys or were drawn on litters, escorted by gentlemen, squires and pages, with trumpeters, drummers and minstrels.
- We will hear again the lead trumpeter's two-note rift telling his musicians it's time to celebrate.
- Prima was also a serious musician, an expert trumpeter and author of numerous tunes including the jazz standard ‘Sing Sing Sing!’
- The trumpeter is the nominal leader of this highly musical jam session.
- I think by the way, you might think of having trumpets and trumpeters do your signature tune when have you a new one.
- The drummers and trumpeters they employed moved about from stage to balcony and turret as they were required.
- Tapestries hung from the trumpets of the state trumpeters.
- The early years Rossini's father was a trumpeter and horn player, his mother a singer.
- The trumpeter and composer is also passionate about the alcoholism and drug organisation he has recently launched.
- Imperial processions were vast, with drummers, trumpeters, attendants carrying torches and many more.
- Were you ever a trumpeter or other brass instrument player?
- My dad had been a trumpeter, too, but became a pianist because it was easier to make a living that way.
- Bands of that era also featured great pianists, bassists, trumpeters, flautists, violinists, and occasional saxophonists.
- Few jazz musicians are experts on three instruments, but that's not the only thing that makes this accomplished trumpeter, pianist and drummer Brad unusual in jazz circles.
- He is an extrovert trumpeter and composer, confident and even refreshingly brash at times!
- The timpanist, however, sounds tentative throughout, as if afraid to overwhelm the trumpeters.
- Tuneful trumpeters joined harmonious horn players at Bury Music Centre when they staged annual concert performances.
- Many of the scenes are divided by instrumental passages played by a small ensemble of trumpeters and drummers sitting at the back of the stage.
- As a trumpeter, I have played a number of trumpet tunes and voluntaries that were transcriptions of original baroque organ works.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.