In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishcarretera principal feminine
- One of the options they hope the study would look at is upgrading the trunk road to dual carriageway all the way from York to Scarborough.
- The park would then take a route through an underpass beneath the trunk road and continue on the side of Ramsey village.
- Tailbacks of up to four miles were reported on the M90 and the A90 trunk road as a result of the restrictions but traffic started to return to normal by late afternoon.
- A Highways Agency route management strategy highlighted improvements that need to be made to the trunk road.
- Is it because the proposed station here would mean longer delays at the level crossing so putting further pressure on the highways for a relief road over the railway line connecting with the trunk road?
- While road signs vary in cost according to their size, a typical one installed on a Scottish trunk road is estimated to cost about £1,500.
- He said: ‘How much longer do we need to wait to have a suitable trunk road servicing a major port like this’
- Later, a van was blown into the central reservation on the trunk road's eastbound carriageway.
- We await an upgrade of the A8000, a vital trunk road that would have been turned into a motorway years ago had it been in the south.
- One lane of the trunk road was still closed today while investigations into the accident continued.
- We have no space in which to build new local roads, because of our geography - we live in a small bowl-shape, rigidly cut up by two rivers, a canal, railways and a trunk road, and all the segments between these are full of houses etc.
- Unlicensed vehicles chug up and down the main trunk road to a nearby industrial estate.
- The trip was 106 miles along one of the worst roads, never mind a supposed trunk road, I've ever had the displeasure to drive on.
- Britain, one of the provinces furthest from Rome, was provided with a road system which in total length is comparable with our modern trunk road and motorway network.
- The team was stationed on the trunk road from 9am to 3pm and made checks on more than 200 vehicles.
- This may be the case but the onus is on the developer to provide suitable mitigation to address any impact on the trunk road and local road networks.
- Campaigners have stepped up their call for a bypass on a notorious trunk road after police figures revealed one in seven deaths on the county's roads have occurred on the A590.
- The site is just a few minutes’ drive from the M1 and the trunk road between Rotherham and Sheffield.
- The barrier had clearly prevented a cross-over accident on a busy trunk road where the vehicle would otherwise have probably ploughed into oncoming traffic.
- Trevor said the couple had chosen the village because of its proximity to their home, the large, relatively well-off local population and the location on a busy trunk road into Bradford.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.