In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(large vessel)(for holding liquids) cuba feminine(for washing clothes) tina feminine
- A large selection of colourful bedding plants, tubs, window boxes and baskets, shrubs, roses, heathers, perennial plants, Ornamental and fruit trees will be on sale.
- The two blueberries were a little more tricky, since they were already planted into their large tubs and well settled.
- Over recent weeks the group have planted up flower tubs around the village, removed weeds and cared for flower beds and done some paintwork.
- I spent a goodly proportion of yesterday working in the garden replanting some tubs and planting up some new ones.
- Even the tiniest garden should have room for tubs planted with sweet-smelling herbs.
- It is therefore suitable for trellises or arbors or for growing in pots or tubs with a balloon framework.
- Generously scaled tubs and plants with architectural leaves in the foreground lend distance, in the same way as placing your hand to your face will make the background recede.
- She grabbed a wooden wash tub and took a rag and lifted his shirt.
- Finally, the pupils used six tubs to plant strawberry runners.
- We also bought 4 windowboxes for the front of the house, and 4 tubs of bedding plants to put in them.
- A nurse was standing nearby, holding a small tub of warm water.
- The ones previously planted out into a tub are really growing well; the ones in the cold frame are still little.
- Emily was sitting on a chair, next to the washtub, talking to Hannah, who was kneeling at the tub helping a girl bath.
- The local committee has purchased a number of new tubs which have been planted over the weekend.
- Even if you have only a small garden, growing them in tubs or large pots can be just as effective.
- Be sure the bottom of the tub is clean and free of any soap residue.
- I washed out two long tubs and planted 6 of my new strawberries in each, watered them in and put them right in the corner of the patio.
- While herbaceous perennials are best grown together in a border, they work just as well grouped in patio tubs and pots.
- Immediately prior to flooding, plant heights were measured and these heights were used to assign plants to tubs.
- I started to unbutton my jacket as she stoked the fire around the tub of bath water.
- If there are flowers planted in tubs or beds in your area we ask you to please help keep them watered regularly.
- Baths were taken in tubs and emptied after use on shrubs in the courtyard.
- Planted in a deep tub, within a couple of seasons it will reach for the sky and festoon your railings with its sweet scented flowers.
- The compost can then be stored until you need it in an old dustbin, ready for use in pots, tubs, boxes and patio containers.
- There are lots of summer flowering patio plants, garden flowers, trees, shrubs and all kinds of rose bushes, herbaceous plants, baskets, tubs and ceramic containers.
2bathtubbañera femininetina feminine Latin Americabañadera feminine Argentina
3(for ice cream, margarine)(gen de plástico) envase masculinetarrina feminine Spain
- As part of their recycling efforts, Susannah and her young family separated all the glass and plastic bottles and plastic tubs into the green box.
- Targeted towards kids, the gum balls are distributed in a 36-count plastic tub.
- Hot food melts some plastics, such as margarine tubs, causing migration of package constituents.
- Flexible margarine tubs or whipped topping containers will warp or melt and leach chemicals in the microwave.
- Polypropylene plastics are used in margarine tubs, sour cream containers, ketchup bottles and other food containers.
- This simple sauce will last for a week in the fridge, or make up a batch and freeze in little plastic tubs so you can whip up a fresh meal at any time.
- Cardboard boxes are being replaced with plastic tubs, to deter mice, mud-wasps and suchlike.
- Plastic lids also continue to impact the dairy-based spread and spreadable butter category, used on plastic tubs and containers.
- We scooped up margarine tubs full of pond water and saw a host of living things in our little container.
- Margarine tubs, yogurt & cottage cheese containers and egg cartons are fantastic for seed starting.
- We do have a small fridge where we could store fresh milk but it's shared between more than 100 people and it's already full of plastic tubs of salad.
- Butter has been stored and shipped in wooden barrels, casks, tubs, and eventually paraffin paper and parchment.
- Seal the drying salt in an airtight container such as a glass jar or plastic tub.
- Regular, light and fat-free sour creams in conveniently sized plastic tubs are also available.
- In no time at all, I could untangle the mess as well as designing and making a superb drawer organiser from old egg boxes and margarine tubs.
- I've mentioned that the modern packaging has the petits suisses stored in little plastic tubs, but you have probably noticed it is not the case on the picture above.
4informal, humorous(boat, ship)chalana feminine(small) cascarón de nuez masculine
- You'd think they would be wise and paint their boats, but they pick out the worst old tubs for their rum ships.
- It hit their little boat so hard that the wooden tub shattered on contact and blew all four friends onto the shore.
- I decided to check out this new boat even though I was looking forward to travelling the 2 hours on the old tub just like the old days.
- This tub could make only about eight or nine knots (nautical miles per hour).
- The old tub, carrying a load of oil pregnant with toxins and separated from the sea by a single layer of metal, should never have been allowed to leave the Baltic Sea.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.