In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The blue team dominated the day-long event winning in six disciplines, soccer, pool, table tennis, tug of war and volleyball while their rivals won chess, draughts and rugby.
- There was football, netball, basketball, cricket, tug of war, relay races, wa-wee, dominoes and several events for children.
- Choose from billiards, horseshoes, tag games, hockey, Frisbee, tug of war, jump ropes, running, or bowling, just to name a few.
- Tug O’ War teams from throughout Laois will be testing their strength in the tug of war contest.
- For those who stayed around after the ceremony there were plenty of activities planned including traditional dances and long drums, greased pole climbing contests, tug of war, and a version of kick the can.
- A tug of war contest between the village rugby and football clubs entertained the crowds, as did a welly throwing contest and bird of prey demonstration.
- Men and women wishing to take part in the tug of war contests can contact the chairman or any member of the committee.
- Kids and adults played tug of war and held sack races.
- The challenges that the team will face will be: 100 metres sprint, swimming relay, gym tests, tug of war and a mile running relay.
- More than 300 people involved in education participated in the sports, which consisted of football, running races, Thai lawn bowling and a tug of war.
- This did not deter the tug of war teams as they slid and tugged on the rope or the audience who cheered them on.
- There are several teams lined up for the tug of war but more are welcome to come and test their strength against the champions.
- Tuggers is a ‘no frills story of five women trying out for a place on the local tug of war team.’
- However a parade through the town brought in the crowds, and the day ended on a high note with competitions to find the best dressed St George and Maiden, a tug of war and pancake race.
- A garrulous tug of war was going on at the furthest field, the teams mostly made up of stocky boys and girls who cheered each time a team came tumbling down, beaten by their brawnier opponents.
- Attractions included the District Youth Band, a tug of war, children's races, a barbecue and refreshments.
- The final event was a well-fought tug of war with John's team taking a convincing win.
- Anyone wishing to get further information about the tug of war team should contact Paul.
- The resulting sports extravaganza included a tug of war tournament and volleyball in the quadrangle, where pupils are not normally allowed to play on the grass.
- This year will feature underage football for boys and girls, races for tiny tots, a ladies tug of war - with teams of eight - and a veteran men's match.
juego de tira y afloja con una cuerda
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.