In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Satin, organza, chiffon, georgette, tulle, lace, brocades, and crepe are all classic fabrics for bridesmaid dresses.
- What stood out above all else were her flirty, soft dresses in tulle and chiffon in pastel colours which, for the most part, were embroidered with sequins and antique beading and iridescent insets.
- Use nude-color tulle or silk organza for interfacing.
- If in doubt about the design's stability, sandwich a layer of sheer fabric, such as organdy, organza or tulle, with the water-soluble stabilizer prior to stitching.
- She fingered fine muslins and intricate laces, heavy crimson silks and tulle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.