In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lucha interna por el control feminine
- Up to 70 teenage tearaways from rival gangs are terrorising residents and business owners in a turf war for Hawkell, a councillor has claimed.
- The feud is the result of a long-standing turf war between the two groups to control the North's drug trade and extortion rackets.
- Detectives believe the four were the victims of a deadly turf war between two rival gangs who opened fire at the back of the salon.
- It's a ridiculous caper about the ongoing turf war between rival gangs of housewives who are out for blood, as long as the carpets have been Scotch-Guarded.
- Over the past decade, they have been waging a violent turf war in Quebec with a rival biker group - the Rock Machine - for control of the state's billion-dollar drug trade.
- The industrial action has exposed a turf war between unions at the mills, with workers from three unions involved in the dispute.
- The seizure will be a blow to the gang, which is engaged in a deadly turf war with a rival outfit in the area.
- The turf war for control of betting revenues in Australia's biggest State is turning nasty.
- In 1929 New York, Bugsy Malone's love life gets complicated when he becomes involved in a turf war between rival gangsters Fat Sam and Dandy Dan.
- His good friend C Jay was gunned down here last July in a turf war between rival gangs after walking his girlfriend home late one night.
- Rival gangs roaming the streets, engaged in a lucrative turf war over who supplies a population hooked on an expensive habit.
- Police believe they were victims of a turf war between rival gangs.
- Where you have a boundary, you have a turf war; and if you erase the boundary, you lose diversity and competition, and with it the power of intelligent control.
- From where I sit, the root of all of this is a simple turf war, and it comes from a clash of two cultures.
- They said the attacks were linked to a turf war between rival western bootleggers over the lucrative illicit alcohol market.
- It is a place where Action Man fights a turf war with Barbie.
- We never regarded them as our rivals - they weren't in our league, and they never dared confront us in a turf war.
- A continuing feud between young Travellers and the local community is at the centre of the conflict, amid claims of a turf war over drugs.
- There was a fierce turf war between the news department and current affairs, which was born out of the old ‘talks department’.
- Ahmed's killing was just one episode of a bloody turf war between violent drug gangs supplying heroin and cocaine in Keighley.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.