In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(bird)pavo masculineguajolote masculine Mexicochompipe masculine Central America
- Birds at the farm include 35 chickens, eight peafowl, a pair of bronze turkeys, geese, domestic ducks and 50 exotic birds ranging from a finch to a macaw parrot in an outdoor aviary.
- Western ragweed provides forage for deer and the fruits are an important food source for upland game birds, wild turkeys and songbirds.
- A wild turkey gobbled, and we returned to camp for dinner beneath a full moon.
- Some domestic breeds such as turkeys have very colourful feathers.
- All species of poultry - large fowl, bantams, waterfowl and turkeys - are kept by thousands of people as pets or simply because they have the space and like to see them around.
- The area is home to a variety of other birds, including nesting bald eagles, hawks, owls, bluebirds and several other songbirds, wild turkeys, herons, and waterfowl.
- A good display of chickens, boiling fowls and rabbits has replaced Christmas turkeys.
- Both domestic and wild turkeys are very susceptible to infection when they are young but appear to develop parasite species- or strain-specific immunological resistance as they age.
- Restrictions and slaughter provisions apply to domestic fowls, turkeys, geese, ducks, guinea fowls, quail, ratites, pigeons, pheasants and partridges reared or kept in captivity.
- Rifles are legal for wild turkey hunting in some areas.
- It feeds primarily on deer, but its diet may also include small mammals, wild turkeys, and occasionally domestic livestock, when available.
- This pre-Christmas recipe calls for minced fresh turkey meat, preferably from a free-range, organic bird.
- Demand for poultry has grown steadily for decades, and U.S. consumers now eat more chicken and turkey than red meat.
- Stuff wheat bread with lean cold cuts such as turkey, ham or roast beef, then add tomatoes, lettuce and peppers to give your child a healthy serving of vegetables.
- The county's farms are recognised as producing some of the country's best turkey, beef, sausages and hams.
- Why does cranberry go with turkey, or Chablis with oysters?
- One of my mainstays was mince - beef, pork, turkey or lamb; I didn't often mince the meat myself, as I could not afford the joint in the first place.
- The rabbit itself tasted fine - a cross between chicken, turkey, and pork.
- I love burgers so much and now I can't eat what I want when I want, veggie burgers and turkey burgers replace the steak - I cook them on the grill.
- I took it to the kitchen and cut through the black coat to discover moist turkey meat inside.
- Vix went for a festive option, escalopes of turkey stuffed with cranberry and lemon with sage.
- Eat a range of meats for protein; include chicken, turkey, lean red meat, fish and lean pork in your diet.
- Perhaps no pairing is greater than that of turkey with cranberry sauce.
- The best protein sources to include in your diet include chicken, beef, turkey, tuna, salmon, eggs, and low-fat cottage cheese.
- She sighed to herself and undid the green wrapping that encased her bagel, turkey, and Monterey Jack cheese sandwich.
- The Spring 2002, we ordered our first heritage turkey from Slow Food in New York.
- Prizes on the lines are turkey, ham, meat vouchers, whiskey and wine.
- Change the water every 30 minutes until turkey is thawed.
- Carmella served three kinds of meat including: turkey, beef, and turtle.
- Heavy wood smoke is perfect for ribs, turkey, brisket and pork shoulder but never for a delicate chicken.
- The experts tell vegetarians they can eat soy to take the place of real foods like turkey or steak.
slangbodrio masculine informal
- He is collecting votes for the worst turkey film of all time.
- His most recent films, execrable turkeys have achieved the seemingly impossible by being even crasser and less watchable than their dismal predecessors.
- The closest we have gotten to this genre in recent years are the various pirate turkeys and submarine films.
2.2informal (person)papanatas feminine informalpato mareado masculine Spain informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.