In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1renegado masculinerenegada femininechaquetero masculine Spain informalchaquetera feminine Spain informal
- The liberals deride him as a turncoat while the right tentatively seeks to claim him.
- This apparent concession is a cynical manoeuvre aimed at saving the faces of any potential turncoats.
- How many turncoats are there among law enforcement?
- The turncoat's getting caught in his own trap.
- Wells, a white captive raised by the Miami, was a turncoat who deserted his adopted family to join General Wayne.
- Identity politics is volatile, and nobody likes a turncoat.
- These tabloid turncoats wonder why the players don't like talking to the press.
- Sainte-Beuve classified him as a cynical turncoat.
- The profile of the defector, the turncoat, is that they repudiate everything they've ever done.
- Who needs this party of turncoats?
- You're nothing but a yellow-bellied turncoat.
- The Tower is too good for such turncoats; their fate is to be cast into the outer darkness.
- They've stolen our ground but we seem not to be able to take their's without becoming turncoats.
- This bunch of turncoats couldn't keep a promise if it was locked up in a box.
- I believe our great councillor before him would never have defected and become a turncoat.
- Leave no stone unturned in the search for turncoats.
- It took the cooperation of some high-level turncoats to catch the big fish.
- Both are part of the same layer of social democratic turncoats.
- They are cowards and turncoats who seek to work within a system that is morally bankrupt.
- Redeem yourself or forever be consigned to history's judgment of political turncoats, renegades and saboteurs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.