In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By the end of that century, the ballerina's long tutu and the premier danseur's tights, trunks and maillot became de rigueur and virtually standardized.
- Any opportunity to perform in something other than a tutu and pointe shoes is always fun.
- I want a pink tutu and ballet shoes to match Barbie.
- Actually on that Thursday morning, approximately half of the tutus did arrive - bodices without any decoration, made for one dancer - and skirts for another.
- The well-known company, which has given nearly 2000 performances in the UK, stuck to an atmospheric and traditional rendition of this Tchaikovsky classic, complete with swans in tutus and medieval style costumes.
- Every time you go into town, browse round the charity shops and pick up cheap hats, scarves, veils, tutus, jewelry, gloves and small size dresses or jackets.
- The viewer is introduced to the programme with Guillem playing with the camera in sharp black and white dressed in a black tutu and pointe shoes.
- One would have also wished for live music in Oakland's only tutu ballet of the season, Balanchine's Pas de Trois (staged by Marina Eglevsky).
- All the other little girls were in their ballet tutus as Tinkerbell or Sleeping Beauty and I went in a brown paper rubbish bag.
- It was beautiful - it had a short, puffy skirt that reminded me of a ballet tutu, with rhinestones decorating it, and a sleek and sexy shirt that hugged my boyish curves, and made me think that I looked beautiful.
- They played with my old Barbie doll dressed in a tutu and another ballerina doll.
- I have some blackmail pictures of him running around my house in my ballet tutu from when he was seven.
- Colorful tutus and long-sleeved metallic leotards accentuated the angular movement.
- The only other distraught note was the occasional wrinkling seen in the tutu skirts.
- Far more chaste and with far fewer surprises up its stiff - starched tutu is Moscow City Ballet's Swan Lake.
- Their gaily colored flowers resembling miniature ballet dancers in multi-colored tutus will sway and nod winsomely toward you.
- They don't wear tutus or pointe shoes and their hair isn't in buns.
- I have a very blinkered view of dance, it just has to be ballet, and then it really must be tutus and tiaras.
- The grand pas de deux was danced in white with red trim and while Kitri's costume was beautiful the stiff tutu lacked grace.
- Besides, she says, not all of the students in the program can be - or want to be - ‘the ballerina in the pink tutu.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.