In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Noche de Reyes feminine
- Like Twelfth Night, Shrovetide was one of the key holidays when plays were performed at court, and at other institutions like the inns of court and the universities.
- AS Twelfth Night approaches, trees, decorations and cards are taken down for another year, creating another mass of rubbish which is likely to end up in landfill sites.
- Above all, she is associated with Twelfth Night and Epiphany, 5 and 6 January.
- However, you may continue the Coronation Jubilation on through Twelfth Night.
- Boys and girls only met once a year at the Twelfth Night dance.
- Not for nothing was the Feast of Epiphany, Twelfth Night, also the Feast of the Beans, a major carnival celebration.
- There is an old Irish saying that on the Twelfth Night the souls of the dead are thicker that the sand on the sea shore and are waiting for your prayers to have them released from purgatory and be allowed into heaven.
- For my Twelfth Night present, my parents gave to me a little coffee table book entitled Bad Press: The Worst Critical Reviews Ever, written by Laura Ward.
- This weekend - the first following Twelfth Night, when all decorations are supposed to be taken down - is the busiest of the year at Essex's 22 sites.
- She demands cleanliness and industry, especially between Christmas and Twelfth Night.
- 50 years ago: Some American airmen with their wives, from the base at Full Sutton, were guests at the Twelfth Night party held in the Merchant Taylors' Hall by the York branch of the English-Speaking Union.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.