In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1doce masculinetwelve (o'clock) midnight/noon — las doce de la noche/del mediodía
- She stopped to rest twice but covered the entire twelve miles on foot.
- The creatures were roughly six feet tall standing on all four legs, and could have been at least twelve feet long.
- Suddenly the clock struck twelve and the two were broken from their trance.
- At half past twelve, Margot and Daddy read, and others clean.
- I've walked twelve miles today, and most of it on roads - busy and congested - and my feet hurt from the heavy pack and the asphalt.
- The space is largely filled with wide metal shelves, about twelve feet high and four feet deep.
- The new board will comprise twelve members, including four worker directors.
- Thirty-six million years ago, volcanic mudflows blocked a stream flowing through this valley, producing a lake about twelve miles long.
- These were generally a few inches to twelve feet thick and were concentrated along a linear distance of about two miles.
- So it wasn't a very big surprise when Dustin and Justin showed up at half past twelve.
- He said that he had raised this issue in the Parliament twelve or thirteen years ago.
- The clock struck twelve, and several guards shooed the reporters out of the castle.
- At exactly twelve minutes past two by my wristwatch the unbearable feeling of tension collapsed, and I knew it was over.
- Watch for the number of stores to increase dramatically in the next twelve months.
- The seminar ran every Wednesday from half past twelve to two o'clock in Mathematical Institute.
- On the ground floor the books must go twelve feet up the wall, and you can't even read the titles of the ones on the top shelf without a ladder.
- Unfortunately, those three came back at five past twelve.
- We have twelve olive trees, four fig trees, one pomegranate and a couple of as-yet-unidentified trees.
- In order to tailor each course to your company's requirements, we plan to confine group sizes to between four and twelve participants.
- These twelve essays examine an enormous number of aspects involved in keeping the peace and resolving conflict in troubled parts of the world.
- At age 34, and after six apartments in the past twelve years, I made a vow: No more renting.
- All this occurred between twelve and one o'clock this morning.
- Back to the present, quarter past twelve today, I got back to Reading to find the thing was still there.
- She has four children and twelve grandchildren.
- Over the past twelve years, the NCH has worked with homeless shelters around the country.
- Place twelve good-quality sausages into a casserole dish.
- Byrne's World of Wonder, on the Cork Road, Waterford will be open at midnight on Friday and will commence selling the book at one second past twelve!
- At ten past twelve I looked at my watch and realised - oh!
- After letting it ring twelve times she threw the phone on the bed.
- There are two cabins, one sleeping four, the other a small trappers cabin, measuring twelve feet by sixteen feet sleeping two people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.