In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1veinte masculinethe Roaring Twenties — los (locos) años veinte
- As far as students are concerned, it is a harsh reality that for the last two years, summer vacation have lasted not more than twenty to thirty days, thanks to vacation classes.
- They are in their early twenties to their early thirties.
- Now in his 35th year as a professional comedy performer he has changed little from the man who charmed us ten, twenty or thirty years ago.
- The winters lately are not as severe as they were twenty or thirty years ago and it now possible to see the last Rose of Summer in full bloom on Christmas Day.
- A local man, aged in his mid twenties, has been arrested and was being questioned at Derby police station.
- The woman is white, in her late twenties to early thirties, roughly five feet five inches tall and of medium build.
- The pomegranate is a deciduous tree or large shrub that can grow to twenty or thirty feet and produces pomegranate fruit.
- Not in one, two or three places have these excellent houses been built, but all over the estate, which covers a space of twenty or thirty thousand acres.
- In all, 202 people died in the explosions, the vast majority in their twenties and thirties.
- I know more people who hate it than love it and those haters often question why I would watch this movie ten, twenty, even thirty times without getting tired of it.
- I'm also very aware of the fact that I have a lot more freedom to express my relationship than I would have done had I been born twenty or thirty years earlier.
- He had a sandwich in hand and looked only to be in his mid twenties.
- Rabbits in particular almost ruined the grazing industry down here in the period from the twenties to the fifties.
- Okay, so she's only on it for twenty or thirty seconds every other episode or so, but still: gorgeous.
- However, the biggest sign of political pulling power is the ability to gather twenty or thirty people to gaze outwardly at the TV cameras from behind the leader while he is speaking.
- We were not half-way across the open space when twenty or thirty furious figures appeared among the houses, firing frantically or waving their swords.
- With an unsuccessful marriage behind her, she went off to drama school in her twenties.
- Oddly enough, I watched two episodes just the other day - the first I'd seen in twenty or thirty years.
- Wouldn't we be always in our mid-to-late twenties, taking workshops, trying things out?
- I would be single, in my late twenties to mid thirties and drop-dead gorgeous.
- Police are trying to identify the man, aged in his twenties or thirties.
- One woman in her mid twenties had left the church in her teenage years.
- After all, most pros now peak in their late twenties to early thirties.
- My twenties have been spent primarily in two different cities: Seattle and New York.
- He was only twenty paces ahead of her, if she could only catch up, she could stop him.
- A man in his twenties was arrested in connection with her death shortly after the incident.
- There was a worker loading the wheat gluten into plastic bags, while oil was being heated in two big woks with about twenty to thirty more baskets of wheat gluten still on the ground.
- When Joy bought the business she expected her clients to be mainly in their twenties and thirties.
- The water levels are still very low and despite this the fishing was fairly good with on average of between twenty and thirty salmon taken each day.
- We are hoping to accommodate between twenty to thirty children in Tramore for the weekend from Friday 2 July to Sunday 4 July.
- The students ranged in age from their twenties to their fifties.
- Eventually you climb up above the bed of the river into the Salon Noir, a cavern about twenty by thirty yards, with a ceiling from which no light returns and just a few vowels re-emerge as echoes.
- But even then - being a public hospital - there could be twenty or thirty minutes of listening to her cry for help before the nurse came.
- A flotilla of between twenty and thirty boats arrived in the town on Sunday and will stay until May 22 for a commemorative boatmen's reunion.
- Two Hanworth men in their twenties have been arrested in connection with an earlier incident at the flat.
- Often lined up in ranks of twenty to thirty kites, the fliers work with partners to launch their large and uniquely designed and constructed kites.
- Five men in their twenties were arrested in connection with the assault.
- He appeared to be in his early twenties with dark brown hair and blue eyes.
- But it is precisely those young couples in their twenties or thirties who are most vulnerable.
- Thirty or twenty years ago such corners were common - new strip malls on one corner, an ancient feed depot on the other.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.