1mellizo masculinemelliza femininegemelo masculine Spain(in Latin America gemelo tends to be used to refer to an identical twin) gemela feminine Spaincuate masculine Mexico
2informal(sth identical)I saw the exact twin of that vase in an antique shop — vi un florero idéntico / igualito a ese en un anticuario
- He could have just been a twin to the smaller man.
- He looked around and saw his twin, who was the mirror image of him, and broke down.
- Soulmates are believed to be our ‘love match’, the other twin of our soul.
- Indeed, the fugue's subject is almost a twin to the opening theme of Flos campi.
- While this new belt is the closest known match to our own, it is not a perfect twin.
- You are seeing more and more of that in business, which is kind of a twin to a profit-sharing plan.
- Her shrieking, wailing voice was the whisper of mortality piercing the ears like the banshee's own call, a twin to the driving terror that pierced the mind.
- Save for its bright red valve covers, the new engine is a twin to the LS1.
- León and Granada might be at opposing political extremes, but they are matching twins in their architecture.
- She wore a mouse-brown tunic belted with a matching braided rope (it matched her twin mouse-brown braids).
- Like the article says, it's just a mirror-image twin of Prilosec, and therefore can't be expected to behave that much differently.
- The recently launched Mercedes S-class could be a twin to BMW's 7-series.
1(sister/brother) mellizo(sister/brother) gemelo Spainsee twin
- The Bill and Ben stories were invented by their older sister Hilda, as tales to keep the twin boys amused whilst they had their bath.
- When I was the promotions director for Azuli Records, my twin sister, Paula, came to stay with me for a week and I was so snowed under at work that I asked her to come in and sort out my database.
- Helena suffers from Type One Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a muscle wasting genetic disease from which her twin sister Saskia is mercifully free.
- The Bridesmaid was Martina Murphy, twin sister of the Bride.
- Above Dominic's bed hangs the watercolour painting he made as a gift for his twin sister Rebecca and the letters sent to him by relatives and friends.
- At his funeral, Gary's twin sister, Hannah, said: ‘Gary was the best brother I could ever imagine having.’
- The family is now worried about letting their two other cats, Rainbow, 14, and Tiggy's twin sister Smokey go outside their home.
- Gavin caught up utterly out of breath and he gave a look of complete gratitude to the twin sisters.
- Witnesses say they saw nothing-just a little boy and his twin sister playing at the sand part of the park while many other children ran around, screaming.
- Kor and her twin sister, Miriam Mozes Zeiger, along with thousands of other twins, were subjected to experiments under the direction of Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele.
- One of the twin boys was critically ill, suffering from hypothermia and hypoglycaemia - deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream - and was badly malnourished.
- Today the couple are proud parents of twin boys.
- Lisa, my twin sister, Jane, and I had gone to see Helen Reddy.
- Up next, the emotional story of twin sisters who made sure the mental illness that divided their lives did not break their bond.
- She was one of a family of seven, six girls and one boy, and was a twin sister of Delia.
- I think my sister got the newborn twin ponies in 1987, and I vaguely remember having the baby sea ponies; I don't remember the llama and dino at all.
- Christine McGlin's twin boys, Christopher and Ross, are 14, strapping lads, but she still picks them up from school.
- Ailsa looked down at her older twin sisters and the boy who was with them.
- London-born artists and twin sisters, Amrit and Rabindra, have widely exhibited in the United Kingdom and abroad.
- The dead girl's twin sister and a 13-year-old girl escaped with minor injuries and were taken to Wythenshawe Hospital.
2(paired)the twin evils of poverty and violence — la pobreza y la violencia, dos males que siempre van de la mano
- twin-bedded room — habitación con camas gemelas
- twin-cylinder engine — motor de dos cilindros
- twin engines — motores gemelos
- twin propellers — hélices dobles
transitive verbtwinning, twinned
1to be twinned with sth — estar hermanado con algo
- this city is twinned with Oxford — esta ciudad está hermanada con Oxford