In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(grin) contrahecho(grin) retorcido(mind/sense of humor) retorcido(logic) retorcidoa twisted version of events — una versión distorsionada de los hechos
- The mobile phone system collapsed under the strain amid universal imaginings of loved ones trapped under twisted trains.
- Forty minutes later the second tower crumbled in a hail of debris and the cry of twisted metal.
- His father vanishes and his mother - an unnerving and twisted woman - is the only available witness.
- But they do not - in reality they speak only for their own twisted psychological state.
- But when the fete organisers and Guides arrived on site the following morning, they discovered the twisted metal frame and burnt remains of the canvas.
- Some might say it is a very twisted mind - but I am sure the public will decide.
- Viewers should prepare themselves for a totally unexpected ending that will leave some outraged, but will be found funny by fans familiar with the director's twisted sense of humor.
- He was a bi-polar twisted mess of a man.
- Blind faith in Scotland is now the province of the very few, and seems instead to be dissolving into a sort of twisted cynicism about the national team.
- Giant lighting rigs have now been set up to help those sifting through the rubble, but amongst the twisted metal of the bombed carriages many are still using torchlight.
- A U.S. Navy diver, working in the 26-year-old battleship USS Arizona, hands up a piece of twisted machinery reclaimed from the interior of the ship.
- Now all that remains is a twisted burnt out shell.
- One of the containers exploded, and the other one has buckled and twisted and there's just nothing left inside.
- The car was a wreck of twisted metal, but they could see the driver, still inside, trying to extricate himself from his situation.
- Justine is a good girl, I think, but only in a twisted kind of way.
- In the suburbs, sexual education takes place through porn videos - how can these boys not have a twisted image of women?
- Sarah advised me to seperate the two things to stop me from becoming too bitter and twisted.
- The ambitions, the hopes, the dreams, every twisted, bizarre, seemingly abnormal thought I ever had melts in the glare of commonness.
- The car that housed the bomb had been reduced to a twisted heap of steel.
- But where the earlier film reveled in its uniquely twisted sense of logic, this one is a bit of a mess, albeit an endearing one.
- In many districts, the only things still standing after the December 26 quake were the palm and eucalyptus trees, incongruously sprouting amid the piles of bricks and twisted metal.
- I cannot accept that; it is an incredibly twisted argument to make.
- Three bodies were pulled out of the twisted wreckage of the hotel.
- I don't know what sense of twisted optimism makes me continue to use the service - somehow it's the only real option, you know?
- There's hardly a shop whose windows, iron shutters, and fittings are not a twisted mass of wreckage.
- The central character is a corrupt, twisted figure, a man of God turned to evil by greed.
- Without clear lines of demarcation, people can come up with all types of twisted logic to rationalize their behavior.
- Perfectly capable of leading a normal, productive life, this particularly twisted murderer instead made a conscious decision to kill innocents in cold blood.
- As we approached 15m, however, on the limit of visibility the faint, dark-blue outline of jagged and twisted metal appeared.
- Okay, so she admits it's a little twisted, but what really good sexual fantasy isn't?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.