In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cheat)tramposo masculinetramposa femininefulero masculine Spain informalfulera feminine Spain informal
- The black shadows darting around everywhere, the rain of fire, the lightning, the enormous twisters… but she did not halt, and only pushed more determinedly on.
- The wind and rain intensified as they watched the deadly twisters move towards them.
- Unlike a hurricane - a tornado's big, long-lived and usually slow-moving meteorological cousin - a twister is small, brief, and fast moving.
- Likewise, it's only a myth that twisters avoid large cities.
- And we have late word that twisters are being spotted.
- With an average of one tornado every three years, it's the twister capital of the world.
- For pictures and more on deadly twisters and the researchers who study them, read ‘Chasing Tornadoes’ in the April issue of National Geographic.
- This tornado hit Furnace county, Nebraska, and it is one of 100 twisters that ravaged must of the Midwest over the weekend.
- Watching silent twisters at a distance was far different from watching a giant roaring twister stalk them from less than three miles away.
- This tornado comes on the wake of a massive twister which struck the town of Jonesboro just a few hours ago.
- Situated past East Arm in the southern part of the harbour, it was considered well protected from storm surges and the strong winds expected with the twister.
- Suddenly, out of the ocean, four huge twisters appeared; they swirled around, creating a huge wind for the boat.
- A tornado struck homes early yesterday in northern Louisiana and possible twisters were reported in Arkansas and Mississippi.
- Scientists who chase dust devils report that the tiny twisters can produce a small magnetic field that changes magnitude between 3 and 30 times per second.
- Know that a tornado watch means a twister is possible in your area and that a tornado warning means it has already been sighted and may be headed your way.
- Most other nations haven't been tracking twisters as long as the United States has, and their records are much less thorough, he notes.
- Then, by reference to data from the original group of twisters, each tornado was assigned a Fujita scale rating, a path length over which damage would occur, and a path width.
- Conditions were ripe for twisters, and there were tornado warnings in counties all along the coast, with several reported touchdowns.
- Both yelled as they fought harder and the twister was gone like a breeze.
- This year, the country has been lucky: As of Aug. 1, only 473 twisters had struck the lower 48 states.
3(dancer)bailarín de twist masculinebailarina de twist feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.