In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of two shades)(paintwork/jacket) de dos tonos
- There are many colours to choose from; pale shades to the most vibrant, in single or two-tone coloured blooms and blossoms are single or semi-double petalled.
- Some are flavoured, scented and others are two-tone, mixing two colours to create a lovely glossy sheen.
- The retired 68-year-old from Farmington, dressed in two-tone golf shoes and a polo shirt, enthusiastically voices his support for Daly's candidacy.
- Both were extolling the merits of the scooter - its pocket-friendly price, two-tone colour combination, and of course, a mobile-phone charger.
- One man was described as white, around 30, 6ft tall, of slim build with brown hair and wearing a two-tone fleece jacket, blue jeans and white trainers.
- However, I have saved my tacky-souvenir money for a college scarf: the black and white of Trinity Hall on one side, the two-tone blue of Cambridge on the other, appropriate embroidered crests on each side.
- Light blue shirt on Sunday morning; two-tone, open-necked blue job on Sunday evening; and stripy, surfer-style blue sweatshirt for a Monday night barbecue.
- Here the big questions are whether it's time to lie on your stomach for a change so that you don't finish up as a two-tone person - brown chest, white back - or time to walk the punishing 100 yards or so to that café for another cold drink.
- He was wearing a two-tone baseball cap, a blue-hooded tracksuit top with three yellow stripes down the sleeve, a light-coloured t-shirt underneath and jeans.
- Bright, trendy colours like ice-blue, white, orange, champagne and plum alternate on the acetates with varnish, crystal and pearly effects, at times combined with two-tone plastic.
- The new car will be easily recognisable as the sport version, coated in a unique two-tone paint finish, combining a black roof, pillars and mirror housings with the option of blue, red, or silver for the remainder of the body.
- Local people have been complaining for the last two or three months about the presence of the two-tone brown camper van that often parks along the road, sometimes in front of old people's almshouses.
- But for the USB connector, the Fuse's body is nicely symmetrical, and pleasantly styled in a two-tone white-on-black colour scheme.
- The ambience inside is standard Avensis, very straightforward, but the two-tone interior trim of this particular version is very refreshing from the more normal all-dark.
- In work clothes, there are two-tone colours with the fabrics being soft, wrinkle-free and flexible.
- And there was a man in it - almost halfway out of the window wearing a blue baseball cap, a two-tone blue hooded fleece, dark skin, startled eyes and my DVD player under his arm.
- Plant two different vines on one tepee for a two-tone treatment.
- The variance is nearly unbelievable; short or tall varieties, small or large flowers, two-tone flower colours, and they are single- or double-petalled.
- Witnesses told police they saw a large white man in a dark-coloured, two-tone Ford F - 150 extended cab pickup the night two of the killings occurred.
- Net-covered bustiers, two-tone dresses, huge zips on the outside of garments - these are clothes for rarefied tastes and far removed from anything to do with the mass-market high street.
2(of two notes)(horn/siren) de dos notas
- Also this morning, I discovered another reason not to lament that I shall never hear that two-tone cry of ‘Da-ad!’
- Known officially as the Piercer it repeats 650 times per minute compared with 55 times for the traditional two-tone siren.
- The police officer followed him activating his vehicles blue flashing lights and two-tone horn.
- Interest in the Specials has burgeoned lately with the use of the two-tone legends' ska sounds in advertisements.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.