In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He knew as well as I did that we are up against not just a business tycoon but a powerful politician.
- He was one of the first Russian tycoons openly to declare his wealth.
- The supermarket tycoon agreed to meet Cylon for exactly one-and-a-half minutes.
- The 31-year-old supermarket tycoon was held by the South Armagh IRA for six days.
- The head hunter took him to a real estate tycoon based in Mumbai.
- The tech-savvy leaders may convince business tycoons to bear the financial burden.
- Throughout the decade several oil tycoons claimed they were the inspiration for the show.
- Completed in 1914, Kohl Mansion was the home of Charles Frederick Kohl, the son of a shipping tycoon.
- Allen, supposedly the fifth richest man in the world, is the tycoon who bankrolled both museums.
- There were only a dozen or so billionaires, most of them oil tycoons.
- George, we learn, is a farm boy turned wealthy insurance tycoon.
- Corruption and bribery are rampant in many countries across Asia Pacific, often involving top politicians, government officials, military personnel, and business tycoons.
- The peninsula is home to a surprising range of fine villas and mansions, most of them designed in the middle of the last century for Glasgow's industrial and financial tycoons.
- The two unexpectedly discover that the killings are connected to a group of former computer business tycoons turned religious fanatics.
- The North Yorkshire business tycoon who owns a profitable food chain has once again had a bumper pay year.
- The Democratic Party, which had planned to hold a march to condemn nepotism between the government and business tycoons, postponed its event to Jan.16.
- The City of York has produced some of the region's wealthiest working tycoons, a new survey has revealed.
- It's full of rich of ladies and business tycoons retiring after making a cool million and leaving the company to their kids.
- The millionaire media tycoon faces the possibility of a snap election following the double resignation.
- The speed with which the 76-year-old tycoon has moved has staggered most observers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.