In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is the super-cells within the tropical cyclones, such as hurricanes or typhoons that produce very heavy downpours as these storms start to move inland.
- He complained that the community flooded every time a typhoon or tropical storm swept through Taoyuan.
- In the Pacific they are known as typhoons, in the Indian Ocean as cyclones.
- Hurricanes, like their regional cousin a typhoon, both come from the family of tropical cyclones.
- In other parts of the world, the same types of storms are called typhoons or cyclones.
- Records for heavy rain, flooding, hurricanes and typhoons as well as drought and dust storms are increasingly being broken.
- Well, there have been strong hurricanes and cyclones and typhoons in other parts of the world this year.
- Hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, lightning storms, nothing was a match for what was experienced almost every night in our house.
- Severe tropical cyclones correspond to the hurricanes or typhoons of other parts of the world.
- Each year, the tropics are battered by up to 40 hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones, while floods and landslides occur everywhere in numbers too great to keep track of.
- The Far East, Australasia and the Indian Ocean have their fair share of typhoons and monsoons.
- There has been an observed and recorded link between the sea surface temperature and the frequency and intensity of tropical storms, typhoons and hurricanes.
- Summer brings warm winds from the South Pacific, and typhoons, especially to the southern regions of the country.
- Many lives in Pacific states have been spared from earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons and hurricanes in the last 50 years or so thanks to the system.
- The archives show names for typhoons in the western Pacific all of the way back to 1945.
- Hurricanes, typhoons and tornados are commonplace.
- Kobayashi said last month's deadly earthquake in the central region of Niigata and typhoons that hit western provinces would have dampened the figures.
- Other great winds like hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones, are essentially just high winds.
- You have a lot of coastal dwellers particularly in the north, where cyclones and even typhoons, hurricanes are a problem, and we warmer waters are going to generate more intense cyclones.
- They include delays caused by storms, typhoons and snowfall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.