In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Because it uses sound waves instead of radiation, ultrasound is safer than X-rays.
- A smaller, portable machine called a Doppler uses ultrasound for intermittent monitoring.
- The appendix can also be directly imaged under ultrasound using a linear transducer.
- This moth, upon hearing a bat, emits ultrasound pulses at its wing beat rate to identify it to the bat.
- The big brother of ultrasound, infrasound means frequencies too low to be heard by the human ear.
- The use of ultrasound and magnetic resonance since 1945 has also made it easier to diagnose disease.
- It has a video camera eye, and several ultrasound sensors which emit pulses of sound and can measure the distance from an object by the echo.
- Even at low levels ultrasound can cause jarring vibrations and a rise in temperature.
- Hifu treatment uses a beam of high intensity ultrasound focused on the cancer.
- Phacoemulsification is the procedure in which the lens is dissolved using sound energy or ultrasound.
- In these cases it sometimes helps to subject the fracture site to pulsed electromagnetic fields or to ultrasound.
- Under each ultrasound condition, viability of cells was also assessed using trypan blue.
- Conveniently, ultrasound also has a shorter range than audible sound.
- See here for some stuff on ultrasound weaponry, if you are interested.
- The researchers found that mist emission decreased with increasing ultrasound power.
- Echocardiography is the study of the heart using high frequency sound waves or ultrasound.
- This is measured by means of ultrasound and electro-magnetic mechanisms.
- I believe this technology is based on ultrasound, not magnetism.
- Similar setups are used on a much larger scale for ultrasound cleaning in industry.
- Lasers, ultrasound and freezing can also be used to take out tonsils.
- These tests may include blood tests, urinalysis and imaging studies, such as ultrasounds or angiography.
- These typically will resolve without intervention, but they are monitored with periodic renal ultrasounds to ensure complete resolution.
- Such is the demand in the United States, technician operated 4D ultrasounds are readily available in scanning booths in shopping malls, enabling parents to purchase a video of their moving fetus.
- It's present at birth, and the cysts are usually visible on prenatal ultrasounds.
- Where once this procedure had been reserved for problem pregnancies or those occurring in ‘older’ women, today, with no medical authorization, pregnant women can obtain ultrasounds in shopping malls.
- Women should not be patronised, marginalised or ‘forced’ to undergo or watch ultrasounds in early pregnancy.
- The doctor took one look at her, admitted her into the hospital, did tests, CAT scans, MRI's, ultrasounds, and a biopsy.
- Some other countries' health plans call for one or two ultrasounds per pregnancy, although I have not been able to determine whether this in fact takes place.
- Hundreds of images are taken during the MRI exam, analyzed by computer and physician, then compared to the patient's mammograms and ultrasounds.
- Returning to the office, he was pleased to find copies of both obstetric ultrasounds awaiting him, each with evidence of a viable intrauterine pregnancy.
- Abdominal ultrasounds, multiple upper gastrointestinal studies and an air contrast barium enema had been normal since the cholecystectomy.
- ‘They have to have hormonal injections, come for ultrasounds, scans, blood tests - and honestly I can't see anybody doing it for free,’ says Tan.
- Although most are rarely needed, there are literally hundreds of laboratory tests and other studies that can be ordered (X-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, etc.).
- There are three types of ultrasounds: scanning devices, doptones, and external fetal monitors (EFMs).
- Because of my controversial choices, I've had regular, probably more than most women, mammograms, ultrasounds.
- Of the women whose ultrasounds showed abnormal lymph nodes, 92.8% had cancerous nodes at surgery.
- Does she get yearly ultrasounds and blood tests to screen for ovarian cancer?
- According to the Fraser Institute, between 2000-03, delays for CT and MRI scans and ultrasounds jumped.
- I never listened when I got the ultrasounds and examinations, I didn't want to hear.
- The counselor will also want to look over your medical records, including any ultrasounds, prenatal test results, past pregnancies, and medications you may have taken before or during pregnancy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.