In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural umbilicuses, Plural umbilici
- A 22-gauge needle can be inserted in a Z-tract fashion, to minimize leakage of fluid after the paracentesis, in midline between the umbilicus and the pubis symphysis in order to avoid collateral vessels.
- He has a palpable ‘olive’ above the umbilicus near midline and he is severely dehydrated.
- The incision is made either horizontally just above the pubic bone (around the top of a bikini line) or vertically from just below the umbilicus (belly button) down to the pubic bone.
- The normal umbilicus is symmetrically indented into the abdominal wall, though it may be nearly flat in very slender people.
- Conventional colorectal surgery was performed through a vertical midline incision that extended from 5 cm to 10 cm above the umbilicus to the mons pubis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.