In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1árbitro masculineárbitra femininefeminine umpirefeminine ampáyar Colombia
- The rule now gives umpires the authority to call the batter, as well as the runner, out when a runner intentionally interferes for the purpose of breaking up a double play.
- The primary purpose of UIS, he says, is to serve as a training tool, giving umpires objective feedback.
- As Deane also mentions, Hoy merely assumed that his coach's signals gave later-day umpires the idea.
- The plate umpire that day was Lance Barksdale, a Class AAA fill-in.
- If, after the umpires have made allowances for drinks intervals or extraordinary delays, a bowling side has not completed the overs in the designated time then points will be deducted.
- Most interventions by an umpire detract from the spectacle and hence are unwelcome to players and spectators.
- I waited for what I honestly thought would be a safe sign from the umpire only to be pronounced dead at the scene for the final out of the inning.
- The fun-loving backstop once handed the card to umpire Larry Napp who erupted with laughter.
- But the point here is that such a play does not give umpires the mandate to reverse any call.
- I would have to say that the best moment of any cricket match for me is the very first; the stately procession to the middle of the two umpires.
- In between, Lara hit a flurry of boundaries and was involved in a verbal exchange with rival captain Steve Waugh that forced the intervention of umpire David Shepherd.
- They have started playing a veterans match at Dalnacraig as he speaks, and there is no undue pressure being put on the umpires out in the middle.
- Up until this season the umpire closest to any suspicious or contentious incident would review the game tape and lay a charge if warranted.
- Hoy is often credited as the reason umpires adopted hand signals for safe, out, and strike calls, which would make for a nice little niche in baseball history.
- Trouble flared on the third and final day of the match with Burgess wagging his finger at Lehmann, who was fielding at mid-wicket when James Middlebrook had an appeal for lbw rejected by the umpire.
- But there are areas of the rule book that give umpires the authority to decide on the ‘severest penalty.’
- The point simply here is that umpires need help when making distance calls.
- It's certainly going to hit middle stump, but umpire Alim Dar makes a brilliant spot: Strauss got the tiniest of inside edges before it hit his pads.
- It should have been a classic on a fast, true Adelaide pitch and, but for the intervention of umpire Ross Emerson, it would have been.
- The umpire intervenes in the rally after a Sharapova shot grazes the line, and the Russian takes the replayed point to win the match.
- We have all heard of cunning bowlers turning down their own appeals, withdrawing them is the proper term, the better to impress the umpire with their incorruptible honesty and win a decision next time.
- You'd like to see the umpires be a bit more interventionist?
- After a controversial call that went against their White Sox, Chicago fans were really giving it to umpire Red Ormsby.
- His low target and still body give umpires a great look at pitches, which leads to favorable calls for the staff.
1hacer de árbitro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.