In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I can only think that they would have been even more so for unarmed civilians in unarmored cars.
- U.S. soldiers have opened fire on crowds of unarmed protestors killing scores of people.
- Plus, for all his faults, Cooper never killed an unarmed human being.
- As will have been seen from the above, the Crown's case was that here there was the deliberate stabbing of an unarmed and defenceless woman.
- In recent years the Indian police have opened fire on unarmed people, mostly Dalit and Adivasi.
- Still to come here, a sheriff's deputy shot and killed an unarmed man in Georgia more than two months ago.
- It would be more efficient if the central government just admitted that it was wrong to fire on unarmed civilians and put the matter to rest.
- Instead, the rebels claim they have focused their attacks on unarmed civilians.
- Also the U.S. military is probing a killing of an unarmed insurgent by Marines.
- Cincinnati, Ohio, erupted after police shot an unarmed black man as he was running away.
- This video shows an unarmed, restrained, female protestor on the ground being tasered.
- A pair of unarmed soldiers were found safe and in good condition early Tuesday after an overnight adventure.
- They picked an unarmed civilian because that's always been their favorite target.
- A Tory poster parodied his defence policy by showing an unarmed British soldier with his hands raised in surrender.
- Armed officers, alongside unarmed colleagues, carried out a search of the nearby area and the woman was found.
- I was sitting in bed, unarmed and helpless staring at a shadow that was going to kill me.
- Soldiers wearing flak jackets and armed with automatic weapons replaced unarmed police at checkpoints in Suva.
- Another veteran, a medic with the unit, recalled 150 unarmed civilians murdered in a single month.
- The government has yet to explain why its troops apparently opened fire on unarmed demonstrators on Friday.
- Except that in this nightmare, it's unarmed boatpeople who will face the mighty guns of a far superior adversary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.