In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Another veteran, a medic with the unit, recalled 150 unarmed civilians murdered in a single month.
- Instead, the rebels claim they have focused their attacks on unarmed civilians.
- U.S. soldiers have opened fire on crowds of unarmed protestors killing scores of people.
- Still to come here, a sheriff's deputy shot and killed an unarmed man in Georgia more than two months ago.
- As will have been seen from the above, the Crown's case was that here there was the deliberate stabbing of an unarmed and defenceless woman.
- Armed officers, alongside unarmed colleagues, carried out a search of the nearby area and the woman was found.
- A Tory poster parodied his defence policy by showing an unarmed British soldier with his hands raised in surrender.
- Plus, for all his faults, Cooper never killed an unarmed human being.
- I was sitting in bed, unarmed and helpless staring at a shadow that was going to kill me.
- They picked an unarmed civilian because that's always been their favorite target.
- It would be more efficient if the central government just admitted that it was wrong to fire on unarmed civilians and put the matter to rest.
- The government has yet to explain why its troops apparently opened fire on unarmed demonstrators on Friday.
- In recent years the Indian police have opened fire on unarmed people, mostly Dalit and Adivasi.
- This video shows an unarmed, restrained, female protestor on the ground being tasered.
- Cincinnati, Ohio, erupted after police shot an unarmed black man as he was running away.
- Also the U.S. military is probing a killing of an unarmed insurgent by Marines.
- I can only think that they would have been even more so for unarmed civilians in unarmored cars.
- Soldiers wearing flak jackets and armed with automatic weapons replaced unarmed police at checkpoints in Suva.
- Except that in this nightmare, it's unarmed boatpeople who will face the mighty guns of a far superior adversary.
- A pair of unarmed soldiers were found safe and in good condition early Tuesday after an overnight adventure.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.