In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She thinks for a moment then unbuckles her belt.
- She sat down on the rock and unbuckled her shoe which was black with a round toe and a chunky heel, rather like a boot that'd had the top cut off it.
- The rest of the crew unbuckled their belts and also departed for their quarters, leaving Dudson alone on the bridge.
- He jumped out of the car quickly, opening my door for me before I even picked my purse up of the floor and unbuckled my seat belt.
- Obedient, with fire in his eyes, Wolf unbuckled his belt and let his weapons clatter to the ground.
- He just rolled his eyes, unbuckled his own safety belt, and left ahead of me.
- Drew unbuckled his belt and laid it along with his father's sword beside Seigi's weapons.
- He was unbuckling his belt and pulling it through the loops.
- After unbuckling my belt by a notch or two I was ready for my dessert - vanilla ice-cream covered with Bailey's Irish Cream.
- Don't take the chance of him unbuckling a lap belt and trying to climb out himself.
- Fayd watched silently as the guard walked a few meters past the camp's perimeter and unbuckled his belt.
- I turned the car off and unbuckled my seat belt, also watching Alexandria struggle with her own.
- To honor his words, he unbuckled his sword belt, and threw it to the side.
- With another Thanksgiving behind us, we can all enjoy the post-binge ritual of unbuckling our belts.
- Quietly, and cautiously, she unbuckled the seat belt and crawled over James's lap.
- Jack began to unbuckle his belt and pull his shirt over his head.
- Leopold turned around in his chair, unbuckling the seat belt as he did.
- Distractedly, I unbuckled my seat belt and stood up on legs that felt strange.
- She began to unbuckle her sandals, as I loosened the laces on my shoes.
- Once he'd finished doing that he unbuckled his belt and fashioned a sling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.