In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She began unbuttoning her coat and pulling off her scarf.
- Then a nurse came and took me into another room, where I had to take off my coat and unbutton my shirt again.
- The crowd almost erupted when, during his rendition of the Sinatra classic Mac the Knife, he started to unbutton his shirt.
- I took an undershirt and a red and blue plaid one, leaving it unbuttoned.
- At least you and Father can take off your jackets and unbutton your shirts part of the way.
- I shouldn't complain, but I always feel such outsized portions are a bit unnecessary at this stage of the meal, and that starters should leave you wanting more, not unbuttoning your trousers.
- The blouse I wore was crisp and white, cuffed, predictably, below my elbows, and unbuttoned only down to the second popper.
- Sitting in an armchair in the senator's office, Alito forgot to unbutton his suit jacket, causing his tie to stick out and his jacket to bunch up.
- Jake's shirt was unbuttoned and his belt hung undone at his waist.
- Next thing, he unbuttons his shirt and holds it aloft, soliciting passers-by: ‘Shirt for sale, no reasonable offer refused.’
- Fully fueled and back in my car, I discovered my shirt was unbuttoned.
- He unbuttoned his shirt and threw it to the ground.
- Hornblower put the razor down, threw his hat on his bunk, pulled off his topcoat and began unbuttoning his vest.
- All we need in order to master the operation of a digital camera is how to turn a few buttons, as if unbuttoning our jacket in a dark room.
- His shirt is normally unbuttoned just a little more than most people would choose, and his face mirrors his emotions quite beautifully.
- She half opened her eyes and watched as he removed his cape and tunic to unbutton his shirt.
- The older woman was shocked to see that the kurti the girl was wearing was almost fully unbuttoned.
- His button down shirt was unbuttoned, letting his strong, pale-skinned, muscles show.
- I had to take it back off my head and unbutton the shirt, which contained a live spider somewhere.
- I unbuttoned my jumper, and pulled it quickly off.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.