In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ritually prohibited)(animal/food) impuro
- Let us remember, however, the words of Jesus ‘When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none.’
- That means that in the tradition before Mark there was only the purpose of casting out unclean spirits.
- Controversy was sparked after it was suggested by a Derby City Council committee that the statue should be put elsewhere for fear of upsetting Muslims, who regard pigs as unclean.
- He equipped them with authority over ‘the unclean spirits’ but no ‘authority’ over their human audience.
- Peter understands the church's squeamishness about eating unclean foods and staying in a nonkosher home; Peter had gulped a little himself.
- In Mark 1: 23-24 the Bible says the man had an unclean spirit, as if in the singular.
- When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
- These evil spirits made people ritually unclean and the unclean could not share in corporate worship.
- Not a place of honour or usefulness - the book of Leviticus advises Jews that the pig, even though it has divided hoofs and is cleft-footed, it does not chew the cud; and therefore it is unclean.
- In Mark 5 we read the story of the man with an unclean spirit who lived in the country of the Gerasenes.
- Christian fasting and abstinence did not, of course, spring from a ritual distinction between clean and unclean meats, but it was just as deeply embedded in theological conviction as the older dispensation.
- Pigs are regarded as unclean animals in my religion and I couldn't possibly share a room with it.
- On the other hand, the Mosaic health laws stressed prevention more than treatment with their clean and unclean foods, emphasis on sanitation, and rules of quarantine.
- As the conflict worsened, Jews were forced-under pain of death-to pay homage to Zeus, to eat unclean foods, and even to renounce Yahweh as their God.
- He scatters unclean spirits and restores people to community.
- We need not worry about such things as ceremonial washings and clean and unclean foods.
- The Bible in Deuteronomy 14: 3 prohibits eating all abhorrent and unclean things and according to the encyclopedia Judaica, the Bible totally prohibits consumption of blood.
- Peter says, ‘No Lord, no, I cannot eat these forbidden foods, I have never eaten any unclean thing.’
- She refused tinned sardines for lunch because by eating them she would make herself unclean and thus unfit to visit the temple for the next twenty-four hours.
- Through spiritual pronouncements based on racialized sexual differences, black bodies are frequently seen and experienced as the unholy, unclean incarnation of evil in America.
- For He had been saying to him, ‘Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!’
- Along with their involved list of unclean foods they were forbidden to eat, some Jews also had elaborate rituals of hand washing before meals.
- According to the Koran, pork is unclean and forbidden.
- Jesus also gave His disciples authority over unclean spirits.
- And the rock badger, because he chews the cud, but does not divide the hoof; he is unclean to you.
- Jesus' rebukes are reserved for the so-called demons or unclean spirits by which some are possessed.
- The unclean spirit shouting out to Jesus represents both a verbal challenge and the demon's enmity toward him.
- He was a specialist butcher who sold halal meat and apparently customers of that meat prefer male to female meat, because they consider the female meat to be possibly unclean.
- There is the convulsed boy foaming at the mouth and the man emerging from the tombs with an unclean spirit.
- This man was ill, ritually unclean, unkempt, probably physically repulsive, an outcast from society, and unqualified to approach God at the temple, but Jesus felt compassion.
- The demons who follow Satan share these titles with him as enemies, foul spirits, lying spirits, tempters, and unclean spirits.
- Instead, he demonstrates Jesus' authority by describing the deliverance of a man with an unclean spirit.
- For some Muslim men, contact with a menstruating renders them ritually unclean and thus unfit to pray.
- Anomalous creatures were abominated as unclean and were forbidden for food.
- Foods are clean and unclean as well as nutritious and non-nutritious.
- Three local councils had banned the sale of pork declaring the meat was unclean and most certainly not kosher.
- Religious texts and law books are modified to describe cow eating as unclean, and beef as well as other meat begins to disappear from the menus for Brahmins and the upper classes.
- In the New Testament, it is striking how those with an unclean spirit were able to recognise our Lord.
- Answering the accusations of some incensed Pharisees, Jesus told his disciples that it is not any food that we consume that makes us unclean in God's eyes.
- Foods that are unclean and disgusting, such as the meat of an animal that died of disease, are not Kosher.
- If somebody is lying in a hospital, they are dying because of dirty water and unclean water, and we've got to solve the problem of clean water; otherwise, people are going to die.
- During the same period that John Muir was describing Indians as dirty and unclean, cities were perceived as dirty and polluted.
- As they land on Earth, the visitors are greeted by unclean premises and atmospheric pollution.
- For example, why should our cities and villages be so unclean and unhygienic?
- The district office complex of Sirsa is no different from most others in the country - dusty, disorderly, crowded and unclean.
- It's because of you that we are pegged as being unclean, dirty or unhealthy.
- A Swindon kebab house boss has admitted that his premises were unclean, had inadequate hand washing facilities and that his workers were not trained in food hygiene.
- In 1868, he visited Brown's Flat near Yosemite's Merced River, where he encountered a group of Indians denigrated as Diggers whom he found dirty and unclean.
- On March 2, over 100 nurses, kitchen staff and theatre technicians walked off the job at Box Hill Hospital in Melbourne, Victoria, to protest against unhygienic and unclean conditions.
- The water supply is unclean, the food inadequate, the sanitation non-existent, and prisoners are exposed to the winter cold.
- Given the fact that many Irish people are infrequent users of shower or bath, there are grounds for fearing that an unclean security area can become a breeding ground for nasty microbes.
- I agree that smoking is not a good thing to do, but I defend the smoker's right not to be vilified and told they are dirty, smelly, unclean and all the other accusations thrown their way.
- You do not get lice because you are dirty or unclean.
- Vibrio parahaemolyticus can be present in raw or undercooked seafoods while Salmonella and Staphylococcus aureus are usually associated with foods contaminated by animal feces and the consumption of raw meat and unclean eggs.
- Some of the general measures include: avoiding unclean food and water, washing hands thoroughly after using the toilet or contact with body fluids.
- A diversified diet with a lot of vegetables, and avoiding unclean food as roundworms may also cause gallbladder disease, will help prevent stones.
- Being unclean or dirty does not cause infection.
- If I drink ground water from the well in my house, it tastes brackish and salty, while the tap water is always unclean and unhealthy.
- Nova and his mother walked to the front door, passing a poorly manicured lawn and rang the faint doorbell on the dirty and unclean porch having fast food takeout bags in their hands.
- Recently, the newspaper La Repubblica carried an article wondering why the British food supply was so unclean and unsafe.
- The outraged cleric fumed: ‘All that goes for an unclean and unhealthy life.’
- When I view La Belle Noiseuse, a movie which features more than 90 minutes of a naked Emmanuelle Beart, my thoughts are not impure or unclean.
- Isaiah was a man of unclean lips who prophesied the birth of Christ.
- I was not allowing him to be on for the last 20 minutes, letting unclean mouths shout filthy chants at him.
- Michael McDowell objects, as it will interfere with his plan to intern the hard-left and anyone morally unclean.
- It is common to hear Christians describe homosexuality as abhorrent, depraved, abominable, dirty and unclean, and refer to homosexuals as disgusting.
- I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.