In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(be subjected to)(transformation/change) sufrirthe new system is undergoing trials — se está probando el nuevo sistema
- the company has undergone several changes of ownership — la compañía ha cambiado de manos varias veces
- they underwent great hardship — sufrieron / padecieron grandes privaciones
- He did not suffer any broken bones but underwent physiotherapy and took a week off work.
- At the time of inspection, the prison was undergoing an extensive building programme.
- She added that the British public was mostly unaware of the suffering undergone by the birds.
- He coped with the problem for two years before he underwent an operation which effectively cured him.
- Beth underwent a life saving bone marrow transplant when she was five after a mystery donor was found in Germany.
- Stella undergoes a traumatic experience and must deal with the aftermath.
- Four months later he underwent the life-saving surgery at Wythenshawe Hospital.
- Most firms have experienced change in this area and some have undergone radical restructuring.
- The centre of the site shows the headquarters building which underwent several rebuilds.
- As if in respect for the sombre occasion, the weather had undergone one of its sudden shifts in mood.
- The Lava Lounge is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment unrelated to the fire.
- Trafalgar Square is at present something of a building site as it undergoes partial pedestrianisation.
- All the craft have been undergoing a complete overhaul before the final race training begins.
- When babies are born, they undergo all sorts of tests to make sure they're fit and healthy.
- He, however, seemed to have undergone a kind of religious experience during the concert.
- The new kitchens and art room are part of a block at the school that has already undergone extensive refurbishment.
- I underwent an emergency caesarean with my first baby and narrowly avoided it with my second.
- It was Leslie's first taste of live action since undergoing surgery to repair a wrist problem.
- He probably typifies the early skeptic who then undergoes a conversion experience.
- Your body undergoes rapid change to support the healthy growth of your baby.
2Medicineshe'll have to undergo surgery — va a tener que ser sometida a una intervención quirúrgica formal
- he underwent various tests — le hicieron distintos análisis
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.