In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for traffic)paso inferior masculinepedestrian underpass — pasaje subterráneo masculine
- Speakers urged the county council to provide pedestrians with a bridge, an underpass or a pelican crossing to prevent another accident.
- Work to reconstruct an underpass on the dual carriageway at Top Lane, Copmanthorpe, is expected to continue for the next six months.
- The park would then take a route through an underpass beneath the trunk road and continue on the side of Ramsey village.
- On the other side is a new link road taking motorists to a new underpass under the dual carriageway.
- The new road has 29 structures, including 17 overbridges, five underbridges and an underpass.
- David showed me that there is a pedestrian underpass in the middle part of the platforms.
- I would like to see a dual carriageway, possibly with a roundabout and an underpass for pedestrians.
- We should design a new system of roads with flyovers or underpasses, meant only for buses or other heavy vehicles.
- Presumably in anticipation of large volumes of traffic, the government has constructed frequent, cavernous road underpasses.
- After the underpass, the road gets wider and the traffic spreads out.
- The city had a fairly distinct central area defined by a few churches, government buildings and pedestrian underpasses.
- Private and road freight transportation was encouraged in the name of the national car industries and supported by the construction of highways, viaducts, connecting roads, bridges, and underpasses.
- Dual carriageways, underpasses and roundabouts are everywhere, clogged by traffic and making pedestrian life a daily challenge.
- Public rights of way across the railway line between Brockenhurst and Ashurst will be suspended, and bridges and underpasses not on public roads will be closed.
- The costs of the project are included in the ongoing multi-million-pound scheme to improve the road network and underpasses in Charlotte Place.
- And local schoolchildren will be the first to cycle through a new underpass built into the road network.
- The underpass and grade-level roads at the Jayadeva junction are expected to be completed by end of this month.
- As he walked through the underpass in Cranes Farm Road he saw three men which he said he didn't think anything of and continued walking towards them.
- There will be many flyovers and underpasses on the road.
- A subway is a pedestrian underpass, generally under a road.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.