In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- While being woefully underprepared overall, I'm at least semi-prepared for 4 of the 5 possible essays we'll have to write.
- I lost and they stuck us in to bat first, and on a difficult, soft wicket it was not easy, especially when we went into the game underprepared, again due to the weather wiping out most of our practice sessions.
- The Tories went into this election intellectually underprepared.
- A significant community college is a college of choice for the underrepresented and underprepared as well as for a cross-section of talented, focused, prepared, and resourced people.
- I can't remember when I first heard about the eclipse, and haven't paid it particular attention, but with two days to go, I could not say I was feeling underprepared.
- And he seems to be a tad underprepared for the winter coming up.
- A year ago he won Olympic gold while injured, underprepared and having looked beaten 20 metres from the line.
- This discrepancy of feeling underprepared for reading but not for writing could be because students come to college expecting to be challenged by writing but not by reading, and then they are surprised by their ability to write well.
- I think a lot of people were a little underprepared for the intensity.
- ‘I'm sorry we're a bit underprepared,’ she fussed, ‘if you were here tomorrow there would be a chaise longue and everything.’
- Now I'm thinking that I am woefully underprepared for an emergency of that magnitude.
- I feel seriously underprepared, but I have discovered that briefings from teachers are pretty useless, and I need to find out from the kids what they have actually done.
- This is a problem that needs attention, but letting in underprepared students into demanding college programs is probably not a solution.
- He entered the professional ranks at 18, a boy underprepared for a man's world.
- Players sometimes came to rehearsal underprepared.
- They are lazy, incompetent and underprepared.
- However, remedial education often carries a stigma because of its association with underprepared students.
- It's not that we're unprepared, but we're underprepared.
- I have a test tonight that I'm ridiculously underprepared for, because I've been heavily concentrating on my other class.
- Over the last three decades, the increase in underprepared students, coupled with what some faculty believe is administrative pressure to lower standards, has had a demoralizing effect on faculty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.