In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It was during this time that he began planning the creation of a new and very different submarine to be used in undersea research.
- In Asia, the company's subsidiary owns undersea cables, fiber optic rings, and Web hosting centers in several cities.
- He was one of history's greatest explorers, whose thrilling undersea adventures introduced the wonders of the deep to millions.
- A company partly owned by the Indian government is buying a critical part of the world's undersea cable network.
- Whatever the exact explanation, it is well known that not every undersea earthquake produces a tsunami.
- The company claims that it is presently involved in almost every undersea cable route in the world.
- Hydrothermal vents result from undersea cracks in the earth's crust, which allow lava and hot fluids to seep out.
- Some coral reefs - undersea gardens that act as shelter and nursery to a wide range of marine species - were crushed by the waves.
- Marvels of integration, the reefs are like bustling undersea communities.
- The ancient sponges provided much of the backbone of the undersea reef structures.
- He is talking about people laying undersea fibre optic cable, but the image is more general than that.
- Adventure tourism has entered the picture in recent years, with customers paying steep prices to visit the undersea wreck.
- The repair of the US-China undersea fibre optic cable, damaged Friday night for the second time in a month, was initiated Monday.
- Some of the salt in the oceans comes from undersea volcanoes and hydrothermal vents.
- Apparently an undersea cable connecting Shanghai to the US was severed.
- Telephone companies first employed satellites to connect calls where there were no undersea cables.
- The signals are transmitted either by satellite, microwave or by undersea cable.
- The beautiful coral reefs made the undersea world even more splendid and fantastic.
- By this stage the undersea cable from Java had reached Darwin and the northern tip of Australia was at last connected to the rest of the world.
- A damaged undersea transatlantic cable is being blamed for causing havoc for Net and phone users in the UK last night.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.