In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1enagua feminineenaguas feminineviso masculinefondo masculine Mexico
- She was clothed in little more than her underskirt and a light corset, the fabric snagged and torn at the seams, and suddenly she felt very self-conscious.
- She returned with the correct garment and helped me into my underskirts and other sundry articles of clothing.
- Her attire was simply undergarments, and an underskirt, usually attached to the gown just around the waist, to protect the gown from mud and tearing.
- The women's costumes were long and full-skirted, of gray tulle with tight gray satin bodices, but the underskirts had warm tones of crimson, cherry, flame and wine red.
- The underskirt is cut in a circle, with a machine-stitched hem.
- She pulled out her two other pairs of shoes, some underskirts and tops, and other random things like her hair brush and jewelry.
- I asked, fishing for compliments, of course, because what idiot would squeeze herself into a corset and about 10 underskirts only to wait timidly to see if anyone noticed the effort?
- Her dress was pale blue silk with a slightly tiered skirt and a wide underskirt.
- She tucked the shirt into the frilly underskirt, worn under the wine colored flounced gypsy skirt.
- It was made of ivory silk with a cotton underskirt and a laced overskirt embroidered with delicate pink flowers.
- Traditional native clothing for women includes an apron over a long skirt and many underskirts.
- Along with the dress in the bag was a white mask, shoes that matched the dress perfectly and a large selection of underskirts and a new corset.
- A dark blue gown with a white underskirt and gold trim had been decided upon.
- And look, no hoops or anything, the entire shape of the skirt is made by the underskirts.
- An underskirt is sewn into the garment giving it extra fullness.
- The sleeves hung long and pointed, with rich black lining, and there was a black underskirt that showed when I lifted the dress to walk.
- Women may have been dressed in long velvet dresses over taffeta underskirts and boned bodices.
- I can remember wearing a taffeta skirt with sleeveless top and a waspie elastic waist belt, plus a net underskirt, which used to prick your legs with its rough edge.
- Luckily the gray dress wasn't made to be worn with any underskirts, so it didn't drag on the ground when I didn't wear any.
- The satin underskirt and sleeves are embroidered with pearls and with devices in gold thread which resemble the sun.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.